"Scale Manager 2" - £3,000 savins in 10 years!

Got a leaflet through my door today advertising Scale Manager 2. Now I know these electronic descaling devices are disputed whether they work - I personally don't think they do - but what I'm posting about is the practically impossible claims they make. I quote:

"For example, a household with a quarter inch (7mm) of limescale using a kettle 5 times a day, 2 x 30 gallon tanks of domestic hot water a day and a washing machine 3 times a week. Over a 10 year period could save a householder in excess of £3,000, assuming an inflation rate of 4% per annum." (then: Energy consumption figures supplied by East Midlands electricity 1996).

So - ignoring the inflation bit (which is firstly high, but also I don't think would make a huge difference to this) - they say that you'll SAVE just under £300 per year. "costs may be reduced by 37%". So, they're thinking you spend £1,000 a year (£83 a month) on heating water?

Does this sound right to you (not them saving money - but the figures stated).

David Hearn

The pipes would probably burst!

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

They're Drivel figures plucked from the air.

Bit like Calgon ads. Work out the cost of using Calgon every wash. Then see how long it would take to pay for a new machine by simply banking that money. Let alone a DIY replacement of the heating element they show. ;-)

Limescale doesn't continue to build up. It reaches a point and then stays near enough the same thickness.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Send it urgently to Trading Standards. That is so blatent it's fraud.

Reply to
EricP

Has anyone *ever* had their washing machine fail due to limescale?

I have had burst pipes, knackered bearings and seals, worn out brushes etc but never a failure that I can attribute to limescale. (I live in a very hard water area)

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Agreed. Our Hotpoint is 11 years old and there's never really been a scale problem. I did clean some off the door seal seating tonight, but the real leak was the soap drawer-to-tub hose (well, its cable ties).

Still has the original element - so far! We also live in a very hard water area.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Me too - the Medway Towns - right between two thumping great chalk ridges. Never had a limescale failure either.

Second question - how does that bloke manage to remove the element without getting his overalls dirty?

Dave

Reply to
david lang