Scaffolding Boards in the ground.

At our Allotment there is the general attempt by members to place scaffolding boards around the edge of their planting areas and also to lay down plastic sheet covered with wood-chip on the surrounding paths.

This keeps the loose earth contained behind the boards at the edge and the paths free of wet mud.

These scaffolding boards are about £13 each and after a few years partly buried in the ground start to rot away.

Is there a cheaper and more durable alternative to the scaffolding boards, to do this job ?

I have in mind perhaps something like overlapping imitation roof slates?

Grateful for any *inexpensive* alternatives to scaffolding boards. Thanks.

Reply to
john west

In message , Phil L writes

Gravel boards? 6'x1' £6.50 flea bay.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Old bricks/concrete blocks/paving stones are permanent. Sometimes you can get a truckload of S/hand paving stones for virtually not hing. Some broken but it matters not. Local recycling place is another source.

Reply to
harry

Gravel Boards of the concrete variety about the same price as scaffolding boards:

Not so high but more stable and probably better at holding down any sheet on account of its weight.

Reply to
Fredxxx

you can get pressure treated 6"x1" in 3200 lengths for around ?13

(timber merchant and account)

-
Reply to
Mark

I'd have thought that if you treated the upper part of the boards in the summer when they were dry and then turned the boards in the autumn so that the part under the soil was brought to the surface then the boards would last many years, and keeping in mind that you can easily cut them to size they would be your best bet. Not as heavy as concrete and deeper that most of the possible alternatives.

Reply to
David Hill

I used second hand sleepers, they lasted years, just got rid of them a year ago, and the gardener took them to use elsewhere.

Reply to
Broadback

Used sleepers 20 years ago as a surround to a patio and herb bed and they'r e only now starting to disintegrate.

Bought some second hand scaffolding planks very cheaply foe swmbo's raised beds. Cheap as chips it will be no hardship to replace them when they fail

Reply to
fred

What do you call cheap as chips, Fred? I have a recycled materials place near me (timber, steel, stone, etc) and I might check out his prices on these.

John

Reply to
Another John