Scaffold/access towers - follow-up

I ordered a tower last Friday, from here:

for 12'6" platform, 2 outrigger stabilisers, and adjustable feet for all 4 legs. A real bargain.

It arrived Tuesday, and I was soon unwrapping it and assembling it. Basic but well worth the price. It is a bit unsteady until both cross bars have been fitted, then with the outriggers fitted, and levelled up, it was very stable. There were 2 slightly tight sections, but otherwise it slotted together without a fault. I bought 5 5' scaffold boards from a local supplier - £18, and screwed in sections of 3x2 wood on the bottom to stop them moving about when placed on the platform. I didnt need the extra 2'6" section to get good access to the guttering, but with that fitted, it gives a better protection against falling over the edge!

If you are in the market for one, I dont think you can get better for occasional use. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

================================== I notice that they provide a method of creating a cantilevered configuration. In my view this looks rather unsafe and likely to damage the roof on which it rests.

This is how my tower with cantilevered section looked recently when working over part of a neighbour's house.

have used the same configuration at a reach of nearly 10' but in that case I used the 45 degree supports on 18mm boards on the roof itself to spread the weight a little. No damage ensued.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A.Lee coughed up some electrons that declared:

tried these?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

I'm currently thinking about getting an aluminium one, for easier handling. Perhaps a used "pro" model rather than a new DIY one. Any views?

Reply to
Newshound

================================== I doubt if there's any real difference in weight between an aluminium tower and the average DIY steel tower. I have a two 6' x 4' towers and I can easily lift one of the 6' x 3' sections to head height for erection.

If you're considering buying a second hand 'pro' tower consider why it's being sold - maybe damaged in some way.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

snip

Yes; I purchased one of these 3.3 m telescopic ladders- it does what it says on the tin! I particular like it for working on the stairs reaching to the ceiling and picture rails etc above the stairwell. I can carry it round corners and up the stairs collapsed down and then extend it upwards towards the ceilings. - no messing about with other ladders and boards. Collapsed it stows away on top of an upright freezer. {Why do the adverts for similar devices always claim that it'll fit under the bed and/or into a closet?]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Brian Sharrock coughed up some electrons that declared:

Excellent - thanks Brian. I think I'll get one of those.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

About twice what I paid for one without platform or outriggers.

I made a platform out of 3x2 and some scaffolding planks: it has cantilever type bits that rest against the wall and stabilise it nicely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Makro had them at about £150 + VAT IIRC

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes I've got something very similar, the cheaper "redline" type for my daughter's flat roof, that is accessed from a walled space inside the flat. It's very convenient but you need to watch 2 things as you lower it. The sections collapse quite fast when you depress the latch buttons and it is possible to trap hands, as the site says. It's possible to depress a latch on one side and not the other making it skew as it collapse and jams.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I have seen surveyors around here when doing surveys taking them out the car boot .

Reply to
Stuart B

are not designed for. Their examples transfer the load to the structure beneath which is how towers are designed to be used. Just remember that when you start to load it.. epecially with an alloy tower as there is little(no!) warning before it goes.

Reply to
dennis

Christ, I've never seen a surveyor up a ladder!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But at least the bottom is nice and level

;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:34:36 GMT, Stuart Noble mused:

They just take them out of the boot, they don't go up them.

Reply to
Lurch

Well it's mostly tenement flats so for top floors they probably have a peek in to the loft space .

Reply to
Stuart B

================================== I'm aware of the possibility (and danger) of sideways loading on mine but I prefer putting the loading onto the tower rather than on the roof as suggested in the example shown in the OP's posting.

In fact my usage is substantially protected by ensuring that the main horizontals butt up against the house wall as can *just* be seen in this alternative view:

large wad of foam padding can be seen tied to the left hand end(s) of the horizontal member.

My towers are steel and despite costing much less they're made from heavier gauge than those in the OP's post. Mine are 42mm od 16g steel as opposed to those in the advert - 32mm od 16g.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Do they charge extra for "use of ladders" like drain clearers do for "jetting machine - £100 per min"?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Can't go up 'em 'elf 'n safety. If they do it'll be to open the loft hatch and shine a torch about. Certainly not to enter the loft, those elfs again.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice