sawdust, anyone want some ?

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:54:57 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

No one I was aware of, there are clusters of Heggie's from Aberdeen down the east coast fishing villages then to Plymouth as my great grandmother moved with the fishing fleet. Also a cluster in Carmarthen, coalmen, I was sitting in Swansea General hospital when my fore and surname were called out, two of us got up to have our injuries seen to!
AJH

Oh, what a disappointment! I was sure it would be, your name being the only one I've heard of.

I shall say nothing!

Your grandmother DID move around a lot!
Does Jim know about this?
Mary

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:42:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
It's actually a longer story than that and I made a mistake regarding maiden names. Being a fishing family male members did not survive long, after each widowing my fathers's mother returned to her mother, who stayed with her kin as they migrated with the fish.

Why, does he have a church door for people with my antecedents? :-)
AJH

More likely a boathouse door at Morecambe. but I'm sure he'd have a wry comment if he heard that story.
Mary

Andrew,
Perhaps you should re-post the story on uba just to see if Jim bites. It is an interesting tale so it will not be wasted if he doesn't.
--
Howard Neil

is
Done.
Well, Chapter 1.
Mary

David Hemmings wrote:

Having MDF and (especially) tanalised dust mixed in severely limits what you can do with it - in fact I can't think of a single use for it!
I'm amazed that someone used to keep horses on it. Bad owners.
--
Grunff

Maybe that's how he got rid of his share... killed it off... ;)

no good owner, he used it to reduce the standing water in his fields afaik. i believe it stops the horses getting foot rot ? I'm surprised you didn't jump to further conclusions in the absence of evidence and suggest he was feeding it to them as well.
of the two saws that generate the sawdust, one only is used to create hardwood, mdf, plywood sawdust, and is at most 1 bag /week. the main ripping saw bench is > 95% untreated wood.
And if you cared to read the info there, very very little of the tanalised is as the cca formulation, this is being phased out for obvious reasons. So to spell that out for you again that is copper only treatment.
Several people have taken reasonable amounts of bags for various uses.
garages for absorbing oil spillages two fellows who are into war recreations, for their sandbags art colleges, and private potters for various ceramic finishing techniques, e.g. raku
so as a finish thanks for your helpful comments...... not
David Hemmings wrote:

That's really not any better than using it for bedding. The arsenic and chromium will leach out of the dust, into the ground and be absorbed in the growing grass which will then be eaten by the horses.

The percentage is irrelevant, the total quantity is what matters.

What info?

The two sawmills I use both use cca exclusively. So you can't assume that it's free of arsenic and chromium.

I hope you made them aware of the risks.

Hey! That's almost an acceptable use!

No need to take things personally - when offering free stuff, it's important that those to whom it's being offered are aware of the limitations on it's use.
--
Grunff

FFS
NOT CCA TREATED
you do know what CCA means ? (chromated copper arsenate), and you do know that most domestically treated tanalisation processes now do not use CCA ?
http://www.tanalith-e.com /
And we are talking of around 2-3% wood cut and then only the surface 0.5mm of almost exclusive copper only tanalisation.

you should be more ecologically aware then and use responsible suppliers then. Copper only is not ideal, but it is the best interim measure until something truly ecologically sound is used.

Yes if they lift it badly they could twist their backs.

and remember always look a gift horse in the mouth, and you'll go far.
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:30:13 +0000, David Hemmings

Tanalised is _disastrous_ for raku (the copper gives all sorts of odd colours), and resinous softwoods are pretty bad for it too. If you want good raku, you also need to segregate by species (or at least separate hard & softwood) for the temperatures they burn at are so different. it doesn't matter much which you use, but you need to keep with the same sort so that you can develop a consistent process.
Some of my clean oak goes for raku.
David Hemmings wrote:

It is often used as animal bedding: Try bagging it up and selling it at 5 quid a bag :-)

we sell a full bin bag full for 50p or if they have lots, cheaper and if they are regulars, free, people pay over 1 for about 200g in the local pet shop ..... go figure

If I were near you I'd buy it for my hen house.
But Yorkshire's a l-o-n-g way away ... when we visit Welsh cabinet maker daughter I bring some of hers home. She also uses it for poultry houses as well as burning in her stove which keeps her workshop warm. Well, less than chilly ...
I hope you can find an outlet.
Mary
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:23:11 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

i hope we find somewhere soon, have around 50-60 large bags of the stuff now. The persistent heavy rain has ruined a lot, so no alternative but a skip for that when i get time.

David,
Ferment it and use the wood alcohol as fuel!
Andrew Mawson
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:16:06 +0000, David Hemmings

No-one with any sense will touch it. If it has MDF, ply, walnut or even some tropicals in it, you can't put it anywhere near animals. If it's tanalised, you can't even burn it safely.
If you want to shift sawdust easily, make sure it's clean, and that means _reliably_ segregating out those awkward sorts.
Hello David

Dust is very bad for horses. Decent owners pay around 5ukp a bag for SHAVINGS that have had any dust blown out - and been magnetically screened for nails and crap like that. Anyone who cares about their horse won't buy "just any old dust", sorry.

Carpentry shop next to my yard used to use a have a small garden incinerator smouldering away all the time - any chance of that for you? Probably even burn in an pot bellied stove if you want free heating for your workshop.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:45:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) wrote:

The sawdust was not for bedding area afaik, just for drying up excessively wet area which his paddock was prone to.

Unfortunately a primary school backs onto the back of the yard, so only weekend burning is an option, unless i can guarantee very low smoke output.
We do our wood burning well away from area that have the remotest chance of ignition, we use old metal watertanks to contain the fires, which we allow builders to drop of very infrequently (they benefit from not paying to dump it, we benefit from not having to buy an incinerator bin)