sawdust, anyone want some ?

Page 1 of 3
Having trouble getting rid of sawdust, usually person who took it has got rid of his share in his horses.
Mostly it will be from untreated wood, but there will be some from tanalised, MDF, hardwood. Also if there has been heavy rain then there will most likely be some that gets wet before we bag it.
I am loathe to hire skips etc to dump, as this will work out very expensive over the course of a year.

Local pet shops not interested ?
(not sure what effect the tanalised / mdf might have on critters though)

Where are you?.

NW kent, dartford area
we generate approximately 2 big bin liners full/day

Are you outside of a smokeless zone? Is so, have you considered installing a woodburner that can burn sawdust? I have one in my workshop (I'm afraid that I am too far away to take your sawdust) and it deals with all my sawdust. This could also save you money on your heating bills.
--
Howard Neil

Howard Neil wrote:

Not to mention poison you and your neighbours. You really shouldn't burn tanalised.
--
Grunff

may i borrow your soapbox fro a while..
again, not cca treated not chromates not arsenates
oh what was that that just went by on the road, ah yes a diesel motor, any guesses how good they are for the environment ? PM5 PM10s + alveoli ..... catalytic convertors dumping heavy metals etc etc. The very nature of trees growing and concentrating heavy metals, you will remember to fill out your coshh next time you go down the woods won't you.....
David Hemmings wrote:

I realise you're not familiar with my viewpoint on 'greenies', pollution and risks to humans and animals (this can be readily gleaned from my post history), so I'll briefly explain.
Most risks are hugely exaggerated, I know that.
But the risks posed by bedding animals on cca sawdust are very real, as are those of using it to spread on soil. This is what I was pointing out in my first post.
You say your wood is copper only treated, not cca - if that is the case, and you're sure of it, then my comments are a lot less relevant. Bedding on MDF dust is still a very bad idea, but burning it is unlikely to have any harmful effects.
I personally don't have anything against cca - it's a superb treatment, and I will continue to buy my timber from the two sawmills which use it. There's nothing wrong with having these metals locked up in your wooden bench. It's a very long way from chipping it up and bedding your horse on it.
--
Grunff

Hurrah!
Well said.
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

Am I all of a sudden connecting to a news server in the twilight zone by accident?
Arsenic and chromium are really quite unpleasant, honest they are. You really don't want to:
[a] bed animals down on wood treated with them or [b] burn said wood on a regular basis.
This is not namby-pamby greeny scaremongering - I laugh in the face of danger. It's just fact. They're nasty and cumulative. A one off burning won't do you any harm, but do it for years and you will release a significant amount of metal, most of which will deposit in the immediate vicinity. Don't eat those homegrown veg.
If DH's wood isn't cca, as he later informed us, then it's quite a different matter.
--
Grunff

And he has, several times ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

And I acknowledged that - but my initial post, before this information surfaced, is perfectly valid advice not some paranoid nonsense which deserves to be compared with worrying over car emissions.
--
Grunff

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:57:41 -0000, "Howard Neil" <hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk> wrote:>

Have you got any urls or model numbers of appropriate burners ?

has
installing a

that
My stove is a Relax. http://www.stovesireland.com/waste.htm Although this is an Irish company, I bought mine in Wales. If you have a word with them they should be able to put you in contact with a supplier closer to you.
--
Howard Neil

David Hemmings wrote:

As I live in Dartford, I should point out that it is a smokeless zone. Although nobody seems to care much about that, much least the council :(
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:38:52 +0000, Lee Blaver

heheh
yeah, as you say nobody cares. Not really dartford, but as most people will know dartford due to the thames crossing, as opposed to bexley. We have had one warning letter about burning our rubbish, but that was due to a school close by, we now only incinerate our offcuts and packaging on weekends. I would really much prefer to give them to the council so they can incinerate them and generate electricity, but they want to charge us somewhere between 40-80 per tonne for the priviledge.
At least bexley council have finally taken those aresholes that are thames water to the high court for their total and utter disregard for pushing (literally) shit into the air over a two year period.
I hope you live outside of the noisome fallout area of this repugnant practice. The practice is to make giant shit cakes, compress them to make them of the right consistancy to burn, either this side of the thames, or to ship by non-selaed containers by road over the dartford crossing to beckton for burning. last summer they had hundreds of thousands of gallons of excrement in open vats for months on end.. None of their new machinery works as it should, and should have been forced to close the plant until it did work properly i.e. no smells.
Another private company is really pushing hard for a massive incinerator to burn a very large proportion of londons waste.
i am only thankful where i live is well out of the way of the crossness area and the proposed incinerator. Just have a drive around thamesmead on a nice warm day, mmmmm, the nice sickly sweet smell of fermenting shit.
David Hemmings wrote: snip

Is *anyone* actually in favour of the incinerator? I can't see one single thing in it's favour, apart from the obvious financial greed of the proposed operators.
As for Thamesmead, 'nuff said really ;)
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:37:24 +0000, Lee Blaver

noone who lives in the area and doesn't have a vested interest. Anyone who agrees to its installation, the board of directors, the scientists they have paid to give evidence and bent politicians should be forced to live in the immediate vicinity of monstosities like this for at least 5 years and then see where their vote lies.
Make the driving range and play a round of golf at the golf course quite unpleasant sometimes.
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:31:16 +0000, David Hemmings

http://www.stovesonline.com/cgi/pages/pages13Workshop-Stoves.html
A local firm has one of these in which they burn sawdust from their horse hurdle making business.
If your sawdust is <25% mc wwb then it is fairly simple to make a burner from a 205ltr drum and some perforated pipe. If the water content is higher then a small fan helps.
The pipe is really only necessary as a former, in effect the device is a scaled up boy scout's candle.
Primary air is regulated at the bottom, fire is lit at the top and secondary flame forms at the flue, unless you choose to entrain secondary air at the lid. The flame is quite easily blown out in natural draught ones, results in dense, white and acrid smoke.
I gave up on natural draught and went for a small fan with an internal chamber for secondary combustion, I have a picture of it working somewhere...
I would be a bit concerned about the ash and fumes from treated sawdust, even if you are sure there is no risk from chromium the copper could be a problem, IIRC the old cca treatment called for a retention which was 50% of the ash content of the wood, I am not familiar with the newer ones. Similarly the mdf content will need a fairly high temperature to burn it out cleanly.
AJH
something unconnected with the following:
Was it one of your kin who was photographed doing masonry work on a high tower in Glasgow recently?
Mary