sawdust, anyone want some ?

Having trouble getting rid of sawdust, usually person who took it has got rid of his share in his horses.

Mostly it will be from untreated wood, but there will be some from tanalised, MDF, hardwood. Also if there has been heavy rain then there will most likely be some that gets wet before we bag it.

I am loathe to hire skips etc to dump, as this will work out very expensive over the course of a year.

Reply to
David Hemmings

Local pet shops not interested ?

(not sure what effect the tanalised / mdf might have on critters though)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Where are you?.

Reply to
TimM

NW kent, dartford area

we generate approximately 2 big bin liners full/day

Reply to
David Hemmings

Having MDF and (especially) tanalised dust mixed in severely limits what you can do with it - in fact I can't think of a single use for it!

I'm amazed that someone used to keep horses on it. Bad owners.

Reply to
Grunff

Maybe that's how he got rid of his share... killed it off... ;)

David Hearn

Are you outside of a smokeless zone? Is so, have you considered installing a woodburner that can burn sawdust? I have one in my workshop (I'm afraid that I am too far away to take your sawdust) and it deals with all my sawdust. This could also save you money on your heating bills.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Not to mention poison you and your neighbours. You really shouldn't burn tanalised.

Reply to
Grunff

That's really not any better than using it for bedding. The arsenic and chromium will leach out of the dust, into the ground and be absorbed in the growing grass which will then be eaten by the horses.

The percentage is irrelevant, the total quantity is what matters.

What info?

The two sawmills I use both use cca exclusively. So you can't assume that it's free of arsenic and chromium.

I hope you made them aware of the risks.

Hey! That's almost an acceptable use!

No need to take things personally - when offering free stuff, it's important that those to whom it's being offered are aware of the limitations on it's use.

Reply to
Grunff

no good owner, he used it to reduce the standing water in his fields afaik. i believe it stops the horses getting foot rot ? I'm surprised you didn't jump to further conclusions in the absence of evidence and suggest he was feeding it to them as well.

of the two saws that generate the sawdust, one only is used to create hardwood, mdf, plywood sawdust, and is at most 1 bag /week. the main ripping saw bench is > 95% untreated wood.

And if you cared to read the info there, very very little of the tanalised is as the cca formulation, this is being phased out for obvious reasons. So to spell that out for you again that is copper only treatment.

Several people have taken reasonable amounts of bags for various uses.

garages for absorbing oil spillages two fellows who are into war recreations, for their sandbags art colleges, and private potters for various ceramic finishing techniques, e.g. raku

so as a finish thanks for your helpful comments...... not

Reply to
David Hemmings

Have you got any urls or model numbers of appropriate burners ?

Reply to
David Hemmings

may i borrow your soapbox fro a while..

again, not cca treated not chromates not arsenates

oh what was that that just went by on the road, ah yes a diesel motor, any guesses how good they are for the environment ? PM5 PM10s + alveoli ..... catalytic convertors dumping heavy metals etc etc. The very nature of trees growing and concentrating heavy metals, you will remember to fill out your coshh next time you go down the woods won't you.....

Reply to
David Hemmings

It is often used as animal bedding: Try bagging it up and selling it at

5 quid a bag :-)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

FFS

NOT CCA TREATED

you do know what CCA means ? (chromated copper arsenate), and you do know that most domestically treated tanalisation processes now do not use CCA ?

we are talking of around 2-3% wood cut and then only the surface

0.5mm of almost exclusive copper only tanalisation.

you should be more ecologically aware then and use responsible suppliers then. Copper only is not ideal, but it is the best interim measure until something truly ecologically sound is used.

Yes if they lift it badly they could twist their backs.

and remember always look a gift horse in the mouth, and you'll go far.

Reply to
David Hemmings

we sell a full bin bag full for 50p or if they have lots, cheaper and if they are regulars, free, people pay over £1 for about 200g in the local pet shop ..... go figure

Reply to
David Hemmings

I realise you're not familiar with my viewpoint on 'greenies', pollution and risks to humans and animals (this can be readily gleaned from my post history), so I'll briefly explain.

Most risks are hugely exaggerated, I know that.

But the risks posed by bedding animals on cca sawdust are very real, as are those of using it to spread on soil. This is what I was pointing out in my first post.

You say your wood is copper only treated, not cca - if that is the case, and you're sure of it, then my comments are a lot less relevant. Bedding on MDF dust is still a very bad idea, but burning it is unlikely to have any harmful effects.

I personally don't have anything against cca - it's a superb treatment, and I will continue to buy my timber from the two sawmills which use it. There's nothing wrong with having these metals locked up in your wooden bench. It's a very long way from chipping it up and bedding your horse on it.

Reply to
Grunff

My stove is a Relax.

Although this is an Irish company, I bought mine in Wales. If you have a word with them they should be able to put you in contact with a supplier closer to you.

Reply to
Howard Neil

As I live in Dartford, I should point out that it is a smokeless zone. Although nobody seems to care much about that, much least the council :(

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Hurrah!

Well said.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If I were near you I'd buy it for my hen house.

But Yorkshire's a l-o-n-g way away ... when we visit Welsh cabinet maker daughter I bring some of hers home. She also uses it for poultry houses as well as burning in her stove which keeps her workshop warm. Well, less than chilly ...

I hope you can find an outlet.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher