Saving animations

You beat me to it but thanks.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You are good at this. Keep them coming I love to laugh.It's what I do best when I am not eating.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

I'm afraid it's a case of the usual so-called "experts" on here conflating applications with the OS that those applications run on. Again.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So which option of graphics should I have clicked open to download animatio ns? I can't find the one for Flash.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

En el artículo , Weatherlawyer escribió:

You've already had several useful and interesting answers. My earlier question wasn't a pop at you, by the way, just pointing out that an OS is a platform to run tools on, and that OS willy-waving (again, not by you) is pointless. If the tool you want to use runs on only one OS, your choice is already made for you.

I've not done it recently, but me being me, would have probably have gone the route of grabbing the individual .gifs with wget at the command line using the '-A *.gif' parameter to filter out everything else, then assembled them into an animated .gif using ImageMagick or similar.

Others came up with much more elegant solutions, proving there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Glad you got your job done, it was an interesting thread.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've just tried that (on XP) and it works (if it only goes as far as saving the gifs) but I can't see how that is anywhere near as fast as

*just* clicking on 'Save page' (one or two clicks)?

Unless I've missed something and your way is supposed to also create the animated gif? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I was just wondering why there is such a rigmarole involved in capturing video. Or should I be investigating old apple macs?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

En el artículo , Weatherlawyer escribió:

One word: copyright. The copyright owners of online video are tying to prevent it being purloined.

It explains the vast plethora of "Youtube downloaders", screen/video capture, website leecher etc. utilities that are available.

If you're into self-flagellation, perhaps.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If you are talking about your specific scenario it isn't a video is it? It's presented on the website as a fast slideshow and that's what you have to replicate if you want to store the thing locally.

Or, you can take the individual pictures and 'join' them into a single file to make them look like a video (an 'animated gif' in this case).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If only that were the truth (from you).

Only a real nutjob would make such statements whilst adding Windows bashing footers on nearly every post.

Recognise this for example?:

"Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging."

So, I have OSX, Windows (most versions), Android and many Linux spins and happen to find Windows the most flexible and friendly for my needs and Linux the least. For some reason that *fact* sticks in your craw because *you* are a Linux advocate (but I'm not a Windows advocate).

Practice what you preach OM.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You could use a screen recorder which can save to .mp4, .swf or .avi such as

But you'll probably get jerkier playback than saving the individual frames and converting them to animated gif.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I live in a free country, and whilst I appreciate that Linus Torvalds doesn 't get on with graphics card designers for the reasons you suppose. Althoug h I do have a computer quite capable of Snowdening the Clinton files, I als o have a motor car that can be used to kill pedestrians, three sharp long k nives I only use on meat and veg. I also have a variety of fire-lighters I could use to commit arson.

And I have a fast cable connection that I wouldn't even know how to obtain pirated films and music with.

Not my choice of self abuse I admit.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A true gif will, sometimes, simply 'drag & drop' from the page and remain functional. It appears as a single file and is the reason it will simply respond to 'save as'.

However, as others have pointed out, in this case, it is a series of pictures. R clicking on the screen will only apply to the picture that is currently displaying.

I could suggest for a one or two click option, you can get Tim to do them all for you in future. :-)

Reply to
RayL12

Sure, however, I was just checking that I hadn't missed something Weatherlawyer was saying re actually creating the animated gif out of the individual gifs (it seems I hadn't).

Including me. ;-)

Indeed.

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m