Saturated Floors

Hi gang,

Just wondering about these poor blighters that get flooded out so frequently as is happening in Wales and the westcountry at present. How many times can your floor joists and boards suffer getting saturated and dried out before they have to be replaced?

Reply to
orion.osiris

tly as is happening in Wales and the westcountry at present.

and dried out before they have to be replaced?

cue the delightful loss adjuster?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

as is happening in Wales and the westcountry at present.

dried out before they have to be replaced?

I don't think the joists will come to harm unless they aren't dried (and the walls they run into/through aren't dried). They have to be wet for a quite a while to go rotten.

The floorboards will expand across the grain, and push themselves off the joists and buckle up. I have repaired a floor where this happened. It took a year for the boards to dry (although this was solid maple, not pine). I refitted them after 6 months thinking they would be dry, but had to lift and refit again 6 months later, as they continued to shrink.

This was caused by tenants managing to knock a washing machine waste out of its standpipe, using the machine many more times, and not telling the landlord until there was standing water lapping the underneath of the floor.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

tly as is happening in Wales and the westcountry at present.

and dried out before they have to be replaced?

The ones I know have had their timber ground floors removed and concreted long since You can have your house "floodised". Electrics at high level, non- timber skirtings, doors etc. Aluminium kitchen units. Concrete lower staircase. Makes clearing up a lot quicker.

And you need to have a plan re valubles etc. And a pressure washer.

The worst aspect is the stench which takes weeks to disperse.

Reply to
harry

as is happening in Wales and the westcountry at present.

dried out before they have to be replaced?

There must be a routine for places that get regularly flooded. I'm thinking of, for example, riverside properties in York, and towns like Cochem on the Mosel, where flood-level markers are displayed almost like badges of honour.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

I'd live upstairs and only have cheap shit downstairs - stuff I don't care about losing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Colleague's house near the town centre built around 1990 was of 3 storeys, with the lower one being only garage, utility room and bog and thus the living area was above maximum flood level. Floods of 1999 were only 2" below top of the then newly constructed defences, and lapped the cills of several newly constructed flats*. Defences have now been raised by another 16".

  • Lots of low-lying properties were got rid of in the 20s/30s of the last century in favour of premises on higher land. Memories have faded and history
*will* repeat itself.
Reply to
<me9