Satellite receiver box

In addition, I think there are also other free channels (FTA/FTV) which the FreeSat organisation requires the manufacturer of a receiver to lock out. Something like that. Maybe it's that they require the manufacturer to prevent recording those non-FreeSat channels.

You're right about maximising confusion. I'm lost in all this.

We thought the arrangements for retuning for Channel 5 a few years back weren't particularly easy to understand but getting digital broadcast telly is infinitely more confusing.

Sadly once you have hacked your way through the free satellite tv jungle, there are, at the end of it all, only a handful of channels really worth watching.

Reply to
pamela

The stations have to pay Freesat to be listed in the Freesat EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) the default menu system that gives you the 7 day(?) schedule of all channels in the EPG.

Somewhere in the boxes menu system there will be an "other satelites/channels/WHY" option and you can explore what else is out there and Free To Air.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can I ask for some recommendations too?

I have at present a Vision HD sat receiver. Not FreeSat or whatever. Just used for FTA stuff.

It controls the motorised dish. Or rather did. It no longer does. The motor does work if you press the buttons on it - so I'm assuming a fault I wouldn't know where to start looking for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd recommend the Humax free-sat. It's connected to an ex-Sky dish, but AKA IK it can't move the dish to other satellites even if I had a dish that cou ld move.

I got the decoder on Boxing day a few years ago, when my Republican Rupert- box gave up at 2.55pm 25th Dec. This deprived us of playing queen's speech bingo where everyone chooses a (non-trivial) word and the chooser of the w ord which comes up most is the winner.

Good candidates are: family, lives, service, commonwealth.

Reply to
ed

Hi Ed, nice to hear from you again. It does need to control a motorised dish, though, as playing with that is more fun than watching most of the programmes. ;-)

The existing box still works on Astra which is where it's stuck at.

Ah, right. The silly games usually start in the evening here when everyone has had a few. And trying to make sense of the instructions on the latest board game gives endless pleasure...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought this problem had been fixed. To recap, the remote works (can see the light with a camera) and I reported that it worked with the STB again, having cleaned the eye on the STB. Suddenly stopped working again last week, so I did little more than clean the eye again, reboot the box and now it works. No idea why.

Reply to
News