Satellite quatro low noise block question

I have now set up a couple of satellite TV systems using universal low noise blocks. I now want to use a quatro LNB. I've bought a titanium.

My question is which of the four LNB F sockets should be fed with power by the Satlook meter? Obviously I have to choose one of the sockets to connect to in order to align the dish. But which one? Or can it be any socket? Can't find the answer to this either on Smart's site nor through Google.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

If it's not marked must be any.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If a true quad-LNB, then I would think any. They are designed to "look" like independent LNB's to the receiver so each receiver can change band and polarisation.

HTH Mark

Reply to
marpate1

Hmm ... maybe not so straightforward - seems that Quattro is different to quad.

(scroll some way down)

"Quattro universal LNB" This has four fixed outputs and is used only in "head end" I.F. distribution systems for apartment blocks. One LNB supplies a head end unit that can provide (typically) up to 16 outputs for separate Digiboxes. The four outputs of the LNB are as follows:-

  1. Horizontal polarisation low band
  2. Horizontal polarisation high band
  3. Vertical polarisation low band
  4. Vertical polarisation high band

You should not connect any of the outputs, 1 - 4, directly to a receiver unless you want to restrict viewing to just one of the four options.

Reply to
marpate1

A quattro LNB is not the same as quad LNB. The former just outputs the four "bands" (hi-band vert/horiz, lo-band vert/horiz) the latter offers four independant outputs with the relevant band/polarisation selected by the receiver as normal.

I'd just pick one of the quattro outputs and see if the meter worked. If it did I'd then check the alignment with the opposite band and polaristation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, thanks. I intend to feed the trunk cables into a multiswitch. I wasn't sure if I was likely to harm the LNB by powering the wrong socket. I thought the multiswitch maker would be able to tell me which input powered the LNB, but no luck. I guess it doesn't matter so I'll do as suggested and see what happens.

Thanks

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

With most, if not all, quattros you can power any output (at 12 to 18 V, typically) and all four outputs will be active.

Most, if not all, multiswitches power all four LNB inputs (necessary if in-line IF amplifiers are to be used) at ~18 V. Some switches provide

13 V on the vertical inputs; this is a historical hang-over from single-band dual switched LNBs in the early analogue satellite days.

There's at least one make of switch which can provide 13 V on the vertical inputs and 22 kHz on the high-band inputs, enabling a standard quad LNB to be used. This is useful if you want to use a $ky minidish on a small domestic IRS.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Thanks very much. That reassures me that I won't blow up my LNB. I thought that there would probably be protection in the LNB against unwanted voltages and control signals but it's good to have it confirmed. I was teaching at an HE college when it started to run satellite courses way back when. Am I right that the early LNBs made a buzzing noise when they changed polarity due to it being done by stepper? I wondered if my memory was faulty.

Best wishes

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

That would be a Vision multiswitch. I've got a V75 508A in the loft connected to a quad LNB.

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:17:26 +0100 someone who may be F wrote this:-

What's the point? A quattro is cheaper and simpler (and thus probably more reliable). Will many people have a quad and then want a distribution system?

Reply to
David Hansen

In article , David Hansen scribeth thus

If you want to add in terrestrial TV and Radio then perhaps Yes...

Reply to
tony sayer

I already had a quad in place.

I did.

That's what I'm in the process of doing. Just need to renew the FM aerial lead first as it's full of water.