Satellite MiniDish Bracket - Which Way Up?!

I've just done my first and only DIY install of an eliptical mesh 60cm zone 2 minidish. I've got 90% signal quality from Astra2/Eurobird so I'm very happy. I had to assemble and install the dish without any supplied instructions. I believe it's a Raven dish (that's what was on the box).

It was supplied with an L-shaped mounting pole (about 1 foot stand- off) and matching bracket. There were already some mounting bolts left in the wall from a previous rusty minidish that I removed a while ago so I just reused them - they're still very sound and in exactly the right place for the bracket. I noticed after I put the dish up that the bracket that bolts onto the wall to support the pole is not symmetrical - its kind of U-shaped. I installed it so it looks like a U - the two longer 'legs' are pointing upwards. I've noticed that the vast majority (but not all) dishes in my area have their brackets the other way up, like an n with the legs pointing downwards.

The question is - does it matter which way up the bracket is attached? If so, why and how much difference does it make? If it's a problem, I guess I need to take it off and turn it 180 degrees, but I can't be bother to reposition the dish again so soon if it's not essential.

Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
iantho

You may have installed the bracketry in the 'Catchwater' position. Are the 'legs' of the 'U' hollow? Can it fill up with rain? Is there a drain hole at the base of the 'U'?

Is this a case of 'that's our Wullie in the parade; he's the only one in-step'

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Hi Brian,

Nope - the bracket is solid - no chance of pooling! I'm more worried about if the bracket is stronger under high wind loading the other way up, or something like that...

Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
iantho

You might try posting in uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks for the tip Michael - I've just reposted to the digital-tv group:

iantho