Sash windows for listed property

I live in a basement flat in a B-listed house in the West End of Glasgow. Like a lot of these old properties, it's difficult and expensive to keep warm, with a lot of heat escaping through the windows.

I had Everest and Anglia over to give quotes for new double glazing. We have 5 windows - 3 large and 2 small - and they both quoted more than =A310K. Which seemed rather a lot, so I left it for a while.

I've just had a decorator in to give a quote for a different job and in passing he mentioned that he could replace the larger windows with double glazed, including fitting, for =A31K each. This is so much cheaper that I'm a bit suspicious.

One difference is that the Anglia people were talking about how the windows had to be made from sustainable hardwood, which is expensive. My decorator says they just use good quality red pine. He says they've done other windows in the area and conform to the listed building status.

I'll probably ask to see an example of some windows that he's fitted before I go ahead, but other than that, does anybody have any advice on this?

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

Sliding sashes are relatively long lasting because they're recessed into the brickwork and are slightly protected from the worst of the weather. Round here a good deal of the Victorian softwood stuff has survived, although not so much in south/west facing aspects. "Good quality red pine" doesn't mean much. The term "unsorted upper gulf redwood" would be a bit more meaningful. A lot of draughts can be stopped by simply overhauling the existing windows so that they function properly, and re-positioning the beads etc. I might be thinking more about insulating the ceiling if I had the height...

Reply to
stuart noble

Cheap price seems about right (I have upgraded several tenemant flats in the west end of Glasgow over the last few years). I wouldn't go with either Everest and/or Anglia if they offerred it to me for free.

Whatever you decide, make sure you do nothing before you speak to the appropriate people at the planning department of the council. They will ask to see what you are planning to do before you start, and will come at the end to certify that the work complies with what was agreed. You will not be able to sell the house without the pperwork from them.

I had Everest and Anglia over to give quotes for new double glazing. We have 5 windows - 3 large and 2 small - and they both quoted more than £10K. Which seemed rather a lot, so I left it for a while.

I've just had a decorator in to give a quote for a different job and in passing he mentioned that he could replace the larger windows with double glazed, including fitting, for £1K each. This is so much cheaper that I'm a bit suspicious.

One difference is that the Anglia people were talking about how the windows had to be made from sustainable hardwood, which is expensive. My decorator says they just use good quality red pine. He says they've done other windows in the area and conform to the listed building status.

I'll probably ask to see an example of some windows that he's fitted before I go ahead, but other than that, does anybody have any advice on this?

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
JoeJoe

Over the years I have seen this organisation advertised .I know nothing about them other than what their website says and have no connection with them nor have I used them

NOSPAMnet

I agree, mine are a hundred years old and have really only suffered in the most exposed locations.

There are good and straightforward draughtproofing solutions available today (brush sealed beads etc) that can make refurbishment a better solution than replacement.

I have only gone double glazed in a huge oriel window where the glass losses were dragging the comfort level down too much.

Elsewhere it was just draughtproofing and the siting of a tiny radiator near larger window groups to create a gentle warm air curtain and balance the comfort level.

Where I did go for replacement, I went for softwood as the originals had lasted so well, getting them from the long established firm, Blairs of Greenock:

're not the company they once were (many times bust and now owned by CR Smith I think) but the o/p could do worse than download their comprehensive drawings and compare them with what the alternative suppliers are offering.

I've seen their hardwood offerings too and am glad I stuck with the softwood. Cills are hardwood though.

Finally (for the o/p), be aware that replacing sliding sash windows in a room with inset panelling is not a trivial task and takes a long time to do right.

Reply to
fred