Sash Windows

What an horrible thought :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

They'd be on the visible part of the sash to increase the weight. Somewhere near the lock I suppose.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

the groove goes in the side, not the face. Its the standard way to do them.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Whatever turns you on!

That rings a bell ... but no more.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We had something through the door the other day, I wonder if I kept it... this estate has no sash windows at all.

Mind you, when I lived in a one up and down, straight onto the street (45 years ago), a chap came round trying to sell gardening books ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But there's not much room for a groove in the edge. I'm looking at one now where you have about 3/8" either side of the rope groove, so max brush holder width could only be 1/8". Don't know why the rope has so wide a groove, but it seems to be standard in those I've had dealings with.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

All my sashes are 2" so there's plenty of room for machining but you can use folded V-seals instead, I've used plastic but I think you can get copper or brass ones too.

Reply to
fred

The ones I've used tend to flatten permanently under pressure

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I presume the price is per window (one week each) otherwise he is miles out: either doesn't know what he's doing or is desperate for work.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in warm weather, the bottom in cold weather, or vice versa, i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer, help please..

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

All other things being equal (which they aren't) I would have thought that to keep cool in summer you needed bottom panes open on the cool side of the house and top panes open on the hot side of the house to allow the hotter air to flow outside. On the other hand, if like me your sash windows are low down and you have young children, just open the tops and hope for a draught!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

I thought the idea was to open both top and bottom. Top to vent hot air, and bottom to admit cooler air.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why would you want to open your windows in cold weather?

Reply to
Tommy

ventilation, rayburn smoke, smelly socks...

Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

The clue is in the fact that hot air rises, so open the top in warm weather to let out the hot air, and the bottom in winter for ventilation trapping the warmer air above the opening.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've lived in houses with sash windows all my life, I randomly open top or bottom, and I can't say I've ever noticed it makes one jot of difference which you choose. I think some overanalysis is going on here.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath

If you put a thermometer at each location you'll soon know.

NT

Reply to
NT

Take a look at this company:-

considering using them myself. I have already replaced 4 sash windows in my Victorian house at a cost of £500 each for the materials but then I came across this lot. Wished I'd heard about them before. Maris

Reply to
Maris

Dead right - but for the wrong reason. It's not so much _which_ windows you open but _when_. Close them, and the curtains, all day, to keep the heat out; open them at night when the outside is cold to let the cold in.

For sash ones, open top and bottom leaving the glass in the middle for maximum convective flow. Their strong point being they don't stick out into the street.

Oh, you probably need to turn your PC off too (500W continuous adds up!). And worry about burglars.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In article , Maris writes

They sounded really good until I got to the 'Carbon Emissions' section and then I plonked them, can't be doing with that over hyped approach.

Have you looked at Reddiseals? They have gone the brushpile route, not sure which I prefer.

fred