Sash Window Panel Drains

I'm about to undertake some work on my sash windows and looking around the web I came across:

the bottom of the sash panels I note a different material has been inserted, is this to act as a drain? I'm looking to do my work with Douglas Fir, but what sort of material is used for these inserts, if they are indeed drains?

Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
Cod Roe

I suspect the detail you are refering to isn't a different material, but is a through drilling into the bottom of the sealed-unit glazing recess. There is a known problem where water creeps round the edge of the frame and becomes trapped in the bottom of this glazing recess. This can over a period of time work it way through the seal in the sealed unit and cause misting between the panes.

Reply to
dom

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com writes

Hmmn, good thinking. With drainage problems is mind I back filled the void around the glass in some new DG sliding sashes with neutral cure low modulus silicone. Not recommended unless the glass is stuck in first using double sided (sticky) glazing tape.

Reply to
fred