SaniVite - Please don't laugh

I have a SaniVite in my basement. Please don't laugh, I didn't buy it, it is a legacy from a previous owner It is used for the washing machine and a samll sink
It is just a pressure switched pump - so no macerator and no crap
However, the motor keeps failing to start up. The switch triggers, and the unit hums quietly, but no pumping A good shake of the unit will USUALLY get it started again, but no good if you have a wash on unnatended.
I read a thread elsewhere which suggested this may be a faulty capacitor (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm 2ssvkcnv5fi0pqutn5651onkjt9lqhvq%404ax.com) Does this sound right? (I had assumed a burned out contact on a moving part)
If so, does anyone have any advice on fixing it (apart from the 'flee for your life' kind) Installation diagrams anyone? I have the one for the saniplus (http://www.sanipump.com/InstallationandMaintenanceSaniPlus2003.pdf ) Unfortunately it is no real help- fairly major differences
Alternatively, can anyone recommend something else? I need a pump which can deal with hot water (from washing machine), and can raise the waste about 7 feet.

They're OK for this application..., as you say:

I used to have one (now it's someone elses 'legacy from a previous owner' !)

This sounds very familiar, about the only problem I ever had with mine was when the impeller from the pump came loose on the motor shaft and produced the symptoms you describe (only mine ran continuously, since the pressure switch kept trying to empty the tub)
I fixed it by taking the thing apart (ponged a bit, but it's only grey water - just keep telling yourself that!) and found a nut and washer in the bottom of the tub, put it all back together and burred the exposed end of the thread a bit to stop it happening again. It lasted three years until I sold the house. It might even still be working, who knows!
Good luck.
Dave

Thanks, but I am well aware of THAT problem. I have had to replace the impellor a couple of times because the soft plastic weakens around the nut holding it on, and eventually the nut spins round and the impellor doesn't - leading to the motor running continuously as you describe.
No, my problem is that the motor is not actually turning. Just humming quietly.

If it's an induction motor I'd suspect the starter capacitor.
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.