Sanity check, electrics

I've been told a modernish CU with type B mcbs and a single whole house RCD would fail a PIR due to not being split load. That surely is wrong, right?

NT

Reply to
NT

It would depend when the CU was fitted (not that the owner would know) and the regs that applied at the time of the installation.

Everything you need to know is in here

you are the guy that claims RCD trips are the reason people fall down the stairs:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Depends what you mean by fail - it should be "observed" as not to current standards, but that is not a reason to count it as an immediate and present danger.

If however I had requested for a full rewire, and that was what was installed, then I would not be prepared to accept the work as being to an adequate standard to warrant payment.

Reply to
John Rumm

PIRs are now Electrical Installation Condition Reports.

If it is a new install, then it would probably not meet the regs, but, it could be argued that it does, if it only has a small number of circuits. It is all down to division of circuits, and what the Designer thinks is adequate.

If an old install, then an EICR isnt a problem, as old installs do not have to meet the current standards, though they do have to be safe. It could not be failed for having only 1 RCD, but it could be flagged up as "not being to current standards".

If any Inspector says an old installation is 'Unsatisfactory' [1] because of only one RCD on an old install, then he really shouldnt be doing Inspections.

The outcome of an EICR is either 'Satisfactory', or 'Unsatisfactory'. If satisfactory, there may be a number of notes that things are not up to current standards, but unless potentially dangerous, they are not a 'fail', just recommendations.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks eveyrone, I thought so.