Sanitary Silicone Sealant

Hi

Need some good quality white sanitary silicone sealant for installing a shower tray waste and the tray itself.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Reply to
Slider

Well, you need something that lasts 5-7 years.

Converting from "sealant guarantee years" to real years (divide by 5), you need to go for one that is "guaranteed 35 years".

If it doesn't smell strongly of acetic acid on application it won't last.

Dow Corning or any recognised make with the above attributes.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I've used Sikaflex in the past (courtesy of work).

It's used during the manufacture of motorhomes/caravans & haulage vehicles. AFAIK it's more expensive than normal sealant, but if it can endure the stress and strain of a motorway it is more than adequate for sanitary ware.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Note there are some natural cure silicones that are real silicone, but don't smell...

Reply to
John Rumm

The basic screwfix no-nonsense stuff is actually quite nice to use:

to a reasonably firm finish - so good for low movement joints that get wiped frequently.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just for interest, why?

Is that the expected life of a shower tray?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It was reverse interpolation - given the relationship between sealant years and real years and the fact the maximum guarantee is 35years, 5-7 is all you can expect before replacing it (the sealant that is) so that's what you should aim for. A cheat I know but there we go..

Reply to
Bob Mannix