Saniflow Pumps

Hullo I am moving my kitchen, I was looking at issues around trying to run a waste pipe through joists. Dont fancy that much, I am going to have a run to the main waste pipe with of around 10 metres. I fancy getting one of these masher pumps, looks ideal no down slope required and uses smaller pipe. It comes in at around 350 for the saniflow one, do any of you guys know of other manufacturers ? I suppose its not the kind of thing I wanna have to replace in a year or two. Any experience welcome. Cheers DD
Dave D wrote:

I urge you to google this group for saniflow. You will find several hilarious accounts which will undoubtedly deter you from making such a purchase.
--
Grunff

I still maintain that I would prefer a Saniflo to a bucket. Sometimes it is a choice between a Saniflo and no toilet, if you can't run a soil pipe.
Provided you prevent visitors and young children using them, they're fine. Visitors tend to shove all sorts of inappropriate stuff down them even after they've promised not to. Sanitary towels are the favourite. Young children drop peach stones and entire toilet rolls down them.
Christian.

Or look at another product.
I've got to fit a macerator next year, and I like the look of the Sanisplit. Plumbworld do it (tinyurl is down so go to www.plumbworld.co.uk - it's under bathroom), and on paper it looks a very good design. No mess if it blocks and a replacement contract so they bring you an empty on and remove your blocked one in the event it happens.
Note, I said on paper - I don't have one yet. Does anyone here?
Danny

Hi Dave,
I read this as the Saniflo not be used to pump toilet waste but to pump waste from kitchen appliances. I hope the references to sanitary towels therefore won't apply ;-)
In the event of the inevitable blockage the stuff in the pipe might be marginally less disgusting.
However, I think you may suffer problems from the small bore pipe clogging with the build up of grease/fat from discharge from a sink, or soap powder residues if carrying washing machine waste.

Must engage brain and read the original post before replying!

I'd have thought the soap in the lines were more likely to keep the thing clear, rather than blocking it, particularly if the water is reasonably soft.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Most washing powders contain lots of "inert" filler (like chalk) to add bulk to the product. Just stir a desert spoonfull of the stuff into a glass of water and leave it for a few hours and see what settles out!
--
Cheers,

John.

"Dave D" wrote | I am moving my kitchen, I was looking at issues around trying to run a | waste pipe through joists. | Dont fancy that much, I am going to have a run to the main waste pipe | with of around 10 metres. I fancy getting one of these masher pumps, | looks ideal no down slope required and uses smaller pipe.
AIUI although they will pump uphill immediately after the pump the pipe *does* then require a slope down to the drain. Otherwise there would still be standing water/gunge solidifying in the pipe.
Owain

Before you fit one remember the 2 rules of civil engineering : - Friday is payday - Sh*t flows downhill
Steve