Saniflo

Page 1 of 2
I'm sorry, but I now consider Peter Parry's views on the Saniflo to be a masterpiece of understatement.
He omitted to mention that getting the "easy clip on top" off a Saniflo is a labour to be compared only with Hercules' cleaning of the Augean stables. I can't for the life of me recall which aspect of moving a Saniflo from the downstairs cloakroom to a third floor bedroom was the most tear inducing. I have had to manhandle the putrid, stinking object out of the cloakroom and into the garden where I managed to decant the contents directly into the septic tank, well sort of, becuase the concertina rubber flange grabs on to any passing poo as if it were atrue anal retentive. Then I read the booklet which promised that the lid would simply clip off. Two hours later my wife appeared to find a man rolling around the garden with a Saniflo clenched between his knees battering at the lid shouting "bastard" at intervals. All fingernails broken, shit and paper patι sticking to the most likely and unlikely places. Eventually it came free and the entire inside was then cleaned until it shone.
Then came putting the lid back on. This is jjust like removing it only harder. I ended up pogoing up and down on the Saniflo weeping with frustration, too tired to do anything else. It's almost impossible to push the lid down firmly enough to latch because the cheap plastic body flexes whenever one attempts to push the clips into place.
Then refitting it. Which genius decided to put the inlet for the basin in exactly the same location as the overflow from a close-couple cistern? And where the hell does anyone get 22mm to 32mm adaptors to allow the 22mm outlet of the Saniflow to be connected to a standard soil stack?
I despair.
After much searching I eventually found the old 22 to 32 adaptor that the builder who did the work on the cloakroom had removed, and thrown into a nettle patch behind the garden wall. Thank heaven that (a) he was lazy and (b) my neighbour had spotted him throwing stuff over the wall.
Saniflo finally fitted. I expect it to break down next week, or even tonight.
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:03:01 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

I've got tears in my eyes reading this story! Mental note logged here - if asked to do a saniflo installation walk away. Fast.
Mind you, after the tribulations of fitting a new bath in recent days I may be a bit more inclined to find my diary very full next time.....
PoP
Add pictures here
βœ–

Brilliant Steve, I can just see you rolling around in the garden! I hope it lasts out a lot longer than you expect.
Two questions if you would, please:
a Where I can Peter's views on the Saniflo?
b Do Saniflo Ltd get to read these messages? The basic idea of being able to site a bog anywhere in the house is brilliant really, and it's a shame the product is so c**p, excuse the pun. You'd think a company like them would want to know about problems and do something about them.
Peter
Add pictures here
βœ–

In the uk.d-i-y FAQ. I forget where that is, but a quick google on "uk.d-i-y saniflo" will find it.
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:29:07 -0000, "Peter Taylor"

They did do something about it. They make one called Sanibest which is a much better bit of kit. The bog standard (sorry!) one is competing with a number of similar products and builders etc will always buy the cheapest they can get.
--
Niall

Add pictures here
βœ–
Niall wrote:

Now you're sounding like me (about the builders I mean) :o) Thanks for the info - I'll check out the Sanibest. I am trying to plan a new ensuite Bathroom in a stupid position drain-wise and dreaded having to consider using a Saniflo. Maybe the Sanibest is the answer - it's either that or having a boxed-in SVP and taking up all the lovely Edwardian mosaic floor tiles in the Hall plus the York stone front doorstep.
Cheers Peter
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:58:19 -0000, "Peter Taylor"

You could also check out the Grundfos Wastemate which IIRC is based round a standard submersible pump; I haven't used one but it looks like a well built bit of kit. If your layout allows you could consider placing the pump unit outside or under floor or anywhere it can be serviced easily, either by using one of the sani - type units designed for remote mounting (I succesfully installed a sanibest remotely although they aren't designed for it) or by fitting a small package pump station into the ground. This last gives the option of a twin pump duty/ standby unit which is very reliable.
--
Niall

Add pictures here
βœ–

Well this sounded like a useful idea until I tried a Google search. Only two hits and the Grundfos Watermate which is exactly what I need for bath/washbasin is almost four hundred pounds!

βœ–
On 15 Dec 2003 10:20:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Did you ever hear the expression "Where there's muck there's brass"?? :-) .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 15 Dec 2003 10:20:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

You did say the Saniflo was too cheap and nasty. Now do you see *why* they are popular anyway?
Look at it this way- how many Saniflos will you have to buy during the life of the wastemate, and how much hassle will you avoid?
--
Niall

Add pictures here
βœ–

No I didn't! I'm neutral.

βœ–

Well I wish I could find them! In my search for waste pumps to improve the speed of drainage from a bath all I have managed to find is Saniflo and they always have toilet waste included. I want a pump just for bath/washbasin, i.e. a single 40mm (or even 32mm) in and out is all I need.

βœ–
On 15 Dec 2003 10:15:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

IIRC the one you describe is called Sanichasse. I had a leaflet detailing the full range in the office the other day, I will try to find it tomorrow. Any decent plumbers merchant should have the full range. Incidentally apropos of another bit of this thread the wastewater one doesn't have a macerator and is thus quieter. Alternatively, you could bodge: the flexible pan connector on the standard saniflo will fit over 110 mm PVC pipe, so you could fit a short length capped off and fitted with a 40mm boss.
--
Niall

Add pictures here
βœ–

Just remembered I saw a unit in a commercial kitchen which was basically a plastic box containing an ABS Robusta submersible pump. It would be perfectly possible to make something similar, I would suggest using a plastic cold water cistern. Main problem is making sure that the sub. pump's float switch is free to move; the Robusta has an integral level switch rather than a float on a cable, other makes are available in this format. Some sort of high level alarm might be advisable unless you can seal the tank, in which case it needs vented above the basin level to allow it to fill.
--
Niall

Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote: <snip>

Have found this site that might provide some new answers - haven't identified any prices yet but will do more research after New Year - hope this is helpful - HNY to all!
www.edincare.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

The one that fits our needs best is actually the SaniShower I think, just a pump with no 'macerator'. If you hunt around the price can be down to £175, it still seems a lot of money for a simple pump though.

βœ–

Hi Only ever had to take the top off mine once in 4 years, And it was simple as they say. And it has never caused a single problem in that time. its used to pump the bath shower and loo. Go to europe loads are in use with no problems, and the only problems you will ever have are USER induced not the product. It always amazes me that so many people say they are C**P but have never used one are had one. As for parts just call Sanaflo they are V helpful.
Properly installed and not flushing things down that you shouldnt (even on normal systems) it will provide years of trouble free usage.
Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ian wrote:

That is the trouble. "Properly installed and not flushing things down that you shouldn't" is something that in practice cannot be achieved.
My friends have one. Somehow a used razor blade fell down teh loo accidentally. The shpwer filled with excrement, and the plumber spent a couple of days wrecking the tiling to get at the unit.
What should be done is to make sure that nothing big enough or hard enough to damage the unit goes down the loo. Sadly there is no mesh that stops razors that won;t stop turds as well.
Which makes them liable to this kind of faliure.
Likewise, where are they normally installed? In after market installations of ditzy en-suite units. Sapec is alwasy limited, aso they get built into and under things. Let's face it if there was space, they would have installed a proper soil pipe...
They probably are OK for basins and showers, but definitely not for loos.
Yiouy need something capable of passing and mashing up seriously large objects there IMHO.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Ian wrote in message ...

For users read young children, who not only swallow plum stones etc, but shove all kinds of things down the loo for their amusement. I had to remove a big cooking apple from a conventional waste recently. I figured that if you dropped it from a height it could conceivably have plunged straight below the u bend and not float, but it would take some doing.
Add pictures here
βœ–

[54 lines snipped]

We've rented cottages with them a couple of times.
Another thing that people haven't mentioned yet is you have to make sure you don't flush the toilet in the middle of the night, unless you want the whole house to be kept awake by 15 minutes of grinding and whirring.
βœ–