Sanflo or not wiring reg's please

I have a sanismart loo which I have placed in the upstairs bedroom.

have taken a spur from the ring main that runs under the floor board up into the area of the loo and sink. this is a 5 amp spur connected t a RCD. Is this the correct and safe thing to do or will I light up lik a christmas tree!

-- and

Reply to
and

I can't talk about the electrical side, but have you thought carefull about the discharge pipework. It is common to run this straight up int the loft before exiting the building. In the event of system problem should you try to inspect the Saniflo all the ffluent in this pipe i liable to burst out all over you. If I had to install one I would no route the discharge pipework upwards. At some future date it surel will require attention. Remeber my warning, get your chemical warfar outfit on, shut the door to the bedroom and get a bundle of towel ready!!!! Horrible machines that they are

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

You should try not to have any actual switching in the loo area. A flex outlet plate, which is just like a switch plate but has a hole in the middle of it, should be fitted in the wet area of a loo or bathroom. The isolating switches should be fitted outside the loo area for safety.

It is OK to take the saniflo from a spur off the ring circuit, and you've also given extra protection with the use of an RCD, and you have it fused at the correct rating. So, everything sounds good until you say the actual switching is being installed in the same room as the saniflo unit. It really needs to be outside the room so you isolate the electricity before you service the unit. You can't easily or accidentally switch it back on while you're working on it either.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:51:06 +0000, and strung together this:

Oh dear, never mind, I'm sure you can get a refund.

Sounds about right. You need a DP switched fused connection unit with a contact gap of at least 3mm in all poles when in the off position, technically.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:01:39 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

Sorry, going to have to do a bit of disagreeing with you here. Installing a spur next to a Saniflo is exactly the same as installing one next to a wasted disposal unit in a kitchen.

I would only not install the spur in the same room if there is a bath or shower in the room too.

Reply to
Lurch

I thought this wouldn't apply because of the wash basin being beside the unit as well. I thought the OP (and) said that the connection unit came in, between the basin and the saniflo unit.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:16:00 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

Nope, bath or shower then I start applying bathroom rules. Sink only, not a bathroom, like the kitchen.

They did, but it's not a problem.

Reply to
Lurch

Thank you again Mr Lurch. It's just that low level "switched" connection units, in a position where they may encounter water ingress from an appliance, are frowned upon in Scotland by the BCO and Leccy supply people. They usually ask for it to be changed to a flex outlet only connector, and for the isolator to be placed out with the area that might have water splashed on it when an appliance is in use.

They can be more lenient on an FCU, but a switched unit is a no, no.

Reply to
BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote | Thank you again Mr Lurch. It's just that low level "switched" connection | units, in a position where they may encounter water ingress from an | appliance, are frowned upon in Scotland by the BCO and Leccy supply | people. They usually ask for it to be changed to a flex outlet only | connector, and for the isolator to be placed out with the area that might | have water splashed on it when an appliance is in use. | They can be more lenient on an FCU, but a switched unit is a no, no.

Well obviously you don't put it somewhere it's going to get peed on. Think of a poor Scotsman wearing a kilt hoping he's got his aim right ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

ROFLMAO!!!! Exactly Owain. And a drunk Scotsman is worse.

Reply to
BigWallop

smart? Huh.

You have a French bog in a bedroom???

You ask whether having son of pisssoir in a bedroom is correct and safe????

The electricity is by far the least of your problems. Send all occupants away for the weekend, turn the gas on when they leave on Friday. On Saturday get 20 gallons of petrol and pour it in the bedroom. Leave to mature for an hour or so.

Stand in middle of bedroom and light match.

The results are exactly the same as you will have from having a French bog in the bedroom but the pain, whilst no less, is at least far shorter.

Reply to
Peter Parry