Sandstone Quoins

Got a self build project starting in the spring.

It's supposed to have sandstone quoins at the corners.

Can anyone suggest a 'reasonable' place to buy them?

Reply to
J B

No such thing as reasonable when in this market !

Rob

| Got a self build project starting in the spring. |=20 | It's supposed to have sandstone quoins at the corners. |=20 | Can anyone suggest a 'reasonable' place to buy them?

Sandstone can come in all sorts of colours, from yellow to red. Use a local supplier. Make sure it matches with similar stuff in your area. I my area everything has to be York Stone.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses=20

Wordlists
Celtic fonts=20
Killfile&Anti Troll FAQs
Dialect
Curry Project, =

Dave Fawthrop

We need red

He wanted sixty quid for each one!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
J B

Make a mold and cast some in dyed concrete. Using red sand and crushed brick for gravel might help. See if you can get hold of red iron oxide from somewhere. (But that might tend to stain, as iron is the main nutriment missing in the diet of lichens and stuff like that.)

Remember to grease the mold each time and let it cure over at least three days or the corners may damage. (I'd use a bead of red putty on all the joints. Round them off with a marble or ball bearing.)

Whilst the architect's specification reads "sandstone" quite often that sort of spec. is a generic term and if you don't tell anyone anyway, no-one will be any the wiser.

You might ask the architect on the qt -if he is not involved with the local planning authority. Or check it out quietly on the net somehow.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Make a mold and cast some in dyed concrete. Using red sand and crushed brick for gravel might help. See if you can get hold of red iron oxide from somewhere. (But that might tend to stain, as iron is the main nutriment missing in the diet of lichens and stuff like that.)

Remember to grease the mold each time and let it cure over at least three days or the corners may damage. (I'd use a bead of red putty on all the joints. Round them off with a marble or ball bearing.)

Whilst the architect's specification reads "sandstone" quite often that sort of spec. is a generic term and if you don't tell anyone anyway, no-one will be any the wiser.

You might ask the architect on the qt -if he is not involved with the local planning authority. Or check it out quietly on the net somehow.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Reclaim Yard.

Rick