Sandstone & Cement

as per subject,will the both materials bond to each other successfully?

I've never had the means to try this and in my mind I don't think the two are compatible to bond ie sandstone being a dusty/brittle material.

Thanks

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Whilst I'm sure portland cement will work, particularly on a softer sandstone I would think lime mortar is a more suitable material. If the sandstone is likley to be fairly weather exposed and prone to erosion, even more so.

Reply to
dom

OPC bonds just fine. By all means use lime mortar if you have a lifetime to wait for any bond strength....

Reply to
Phil

Exactly what are you trying to do? Build a wall? Lay slabs? Renovate something?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sandstone binds very well to mortar

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use either. Harder bond with portland.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And bricks aren't ??????;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bricks are a more solid material,whilst a 120 year old sandstone block(exposed to the elements is not). :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Renovate, not me doing the job but the guy is bonding a brick surface to sandstone using cement as the bonding to seal a leaking bay roof?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Depends on the brick.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry, I still don't understand. Is the brick surface a wall? Where does the sandstone come into it? Is the mortar just applied as a fillet, or what? Describez-vous, sil vous plait (sorry!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Where the sandstone edge part of the bayroof meets the facing brickwork. I suppose you would call it a fillet,and personally I reckon this area should have been done with flashing and he's just doing a c*ck up job of sand and cement and coming back in a couple of days to apply some bitumen over the job?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Should be ok if any crumbly stuff is brushed off first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Has the bay got some sort of parapet, then? You put some pictures of plumbing up a while ago, can you get a picture of this?

Sounds like it...

Possible, but wouldn't like to try and say for sure.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What you see is what they done in nov and today. How sad a job is this.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sandstone is really quite variable. It goes all the way from something you can hammer on with impunity, to something you can poke gouges in with your finger.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Like bricks, then ;-)

Reply to