Sanding akward places

I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting. It has lots of holes that I have to sand the inside of.

Is there an easier way than doing this, by hand or with a detail sander, perhaps some attachment to an electric drill that I have missed?

Or perhaps, I might be better with paint stripper and a hose?

It doesn't need to create a perfect finish just one that the new paint will stick too.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Can you get it sand blasted ?

Reply to
Stuart B

Well yes, but how much does this cost? And is there a nimimum area?

I really have no idea.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Not a hope! Sounds horrible.

Run it through an electrolysis bath, which you can easily DIY (search rec.woodworking) and will de-rust it too. It'll shift a lot of paint (if you wait a week), but if anything is left, pay to have it sand- blasted commerically. Not usually too expensive, if they're nearby.

Otherwise there's Nitromors and whirly wire brushes for angle- grinders. Sanding's a bit of a no-no though, you'll just not got into the corners.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How big are the holes, and what shape? Could you use a rotary file?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Or get a plasterer's bath and give it a caustic dip. It'll go rusty when it dries, but a thin layer is pretty easy to brush off. I've done this with cast iron fireplaces, and finished them with clear wax, but I'm not sure how well paint would take over that. Cheap and fast compared to the alternatives.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes it does.

I don't need to remove all the old paint. Just the top old greasy layer so that I can get a key for a repaint.

I'll look into this sand blasting, but I really can't believe that the overheads are going to make it worthwhile for the amount that I have.

Especially as I can buy a complete new bench for 29/39.00

Can I get a whirly wire bruse for an electric drill?

agreed

tim

Reply to
tim.....

They range from about finger sized to fist sized, random shaped.

Possibly, but it's still not going to be an easy job

thanks,

tim

Reply to
tim.....

================================== You might be pleasantly surprised with both price and finish.

A few months ago I had about ten car parts(suspension, brake back plates, etc.) done locally (Wolverhampton) for £10-00 cash. Done while I waited.

There are many small 'backstreet' places that will do this kind of work without trying to get rich at your expense. Try 'Yellow Pages'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I have one I bought years ago for working on a car so you can certainly get them .If the sheds don't have them try a car accessories place or here

Stuart B