Sander or multitool?

I've just borrowed a Fein for a bit from the guys who installed our bathroom (I know - but it took 2 pros over 2 weeks, which would have been a lot of weekends!) just to sand around some awkward edges on the floor. I've got more to do at some point - the ones that aren't behind the bath & toilet), and I also have a wooden boat which needs sanding. What do the panel think -

- Is a modern detail sander better than a multitool for sanding?

- Is it quieter? (/She/ has nearly gone up the wall with the noise of power tools...)

- Are the "other brand" multitools much worse?

- If a sander, which one?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

IME the Fein makes a better sander than the similar sized delta orbital sanders I have used.

The delta may be quieter (but will take longer). Note that on some models of Fein you can also reduce the speed without lowering sanding performance too much, and that at least changes the piercing note of the noise a bit!

The cheaper ones vibrate a bit more in the hand and are possibly a bit louder.

Much depends on the size of the thing you are sanding... Delta sanders are good on small areas and round window frames etc, but not often a first choice for bigger jobs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Beware of the (generally) higher powered multitools used at full speed for sanding. there have been a number of reports here and elsewhere of the velcro losing "adhesion" to the pads and this seems to be due to heat generated in the sanding process causing the the hooks to lose their shape. New sanding backers are relatively expensive as spare parts.

I'm a great fan of the multi-tools and have a Bosch 250 watt model but stick to an older delta sander PDA120 (120watt?) for any serious sanding sessions.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

IME the multi tool is much, much better. The downside is that the Velcro pads wear out at a truly alarming rate.

I have the Bosch PMF 180 and it's noisey.

I have one of these & I'm pleased with it. Not quite as 'detail' as some, but pretty useful.

The Medway Handyman

Yup, light touch is required as well, else its easy to overheat the corners... Let the tool do the work, don't push it.

(you can be more aggressive with the carbide rasp though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Ferm & Aldi multitools are both noisy

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

IME the "you get what you pay for" rule definitely applies to sanders (though not to all tools). Even the best palm sanders are way less than a Fein!

Reply to
stuart noble