Sander for wooden floor?

I intend sanding a wooden floor (floorboards) on my landing in the near future. Area is about 3 square metres. Will also be stripping the staircase treads as well.

I am wondering if it would be better to purchase a belt sander or orbital sander to tackle this job. It is only a small area, plus I need to do the stair treads as well, which I think would be tricky with a belt sander.

I would be grateful for any advice and any recommendations on eithrt a belt or orbital sander.

cheers

Reply to
jack

Belt sander not good for the corners

A decent orbital probably as good as any with a cheap detail sander for the difficult bits

Reply to
EricP

I've used a belt sander on my floors but as above not good for getting in the corners but since the edges and corners get less wear there is less need to to do any heavy sanding. My floors where heavily bowed with age so needed a heavy sanding and whilst it took longer than hiring a machine I now have a very useful tool. I finished off with an oribital sander then a delta sander in the awkward bits. Make sure you wack any nail heads well down as the belt sanders don't like them and the belts are quite expensive. I started with a very coarse grade and then got finer. The belt sander won't be much use on the stair treads. Of course for 3 square metres none of the above is going to be much use.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Random Orbit Sander is the way to go. Stick a 40 grit disc on it & it removes stock nearly as well as a belt sander, less abrasive grits give a finer finish. Much easier to control.

Detail sander for the corners as Eric said.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is a place for sanding discs on a drill. If you don't use a backing disc, you get quite a gentle action with no grooves. Of course they disintegrate and fly off, but not at any great speed, and they're cheap enough to waste a few.

Reply to
Stuart Noble