Sanded floorboards .. now what ?

I'm surprised that you say that. Not arguing, just surprised.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

As someone said a while back, encapsulating a hull in epoxy resin might come close, but then you'd have to seal every inch of every piece used in its construction, including joints. Having a gap anywhere would be like a bucket with a hole in it. Large furniture manufacturers take total control over the timber they use, where it's from, how it's dried etc. That's why Ercol tables don't split, not because of the finish. You and I must take pot luck with the wood we're buying and then hope and pray we can somehow isolate it from its environment with a "seal".

Reply to
Stuart Noble