Sand for between slabs

20 odd years ago I laid some 18 x 18" slabs. I gave them a good jet washing today and decided I need to sweep some sand into the gaps to neaten it all up. I know it needs to be kiln dried for block paving but these are half inch gaps due to the slabs having a bit of a tapered edge.

What sort of sand should I get?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Why would it matter? The one advantage of dried is that you can sweep it into the joints faster.

I might be tempted to use dry sand/cement to lessen weed growth.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

go to Wickes, They sell the right stuff.

Reply to
charles

I'd be inclined to use sharp sand bordering on fine gravel if the gaps are as wide as you say. It is less inclined to wash away, drains quicker and so harder for weed seeds to germinate in.

You can dry sand in the sun on newspaper if you need it free running. (but it is cold, foggy and damp up here)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well, given a half inch gap, it doesn't need to be kiln dried. I agree a bag of sharp sand should be fine.

If your trying to fill the 0.5mm gap between block paving blocks, it's not that you can sweep it into the joints faster - it simply won't go into the joints unless it is kiln dried.

However, for a big gap like this, it doesn't matter.

Not convinced that'll work well.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Sure it does, it just doesnt free flow in. So you chuck the sand out and let normal traffic plod it in. Dried sand is instant, but it costs a bit more. Doesnt matter to most of us, but not everyone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just use ordinary sand. Sweep in and then hose down. You will need lots more than you might think.

Reply to
harryagain

B&Q do a "special" mortar for paving gaps. It's fine, dry, and fast setting. Easy to use but I wouldn't go out and buy it specially

Reply to
stuart noble

25kg bags. BUT in my case some bags were damp so it was not dry as advertised. £4.15/Bag
Reply to
Gone Fishin

Just bought half a dozen bags of kiln-dried sand from them, had to drag as many damp bags off the pallet onto the floor to reach the dry ones, pointed this out to the staff who simply shrugged.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Any comparison between slabs and block paving is meaingless as the purpose of the joints are completely different hence as are the materials.

Have a read of

for everything you wanted to know about the subject (and more besides!).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

sand on 1/2" gap is not going to stay there.

Maybe that is OK for you .... if you want it permanent point it .... sand & cement (slow but cheap)

or use a brush in Polymeric mortar slurry .... brush it in, hose it off .... simple.

see this:

or cut straight to video:

Rick Hughes