Sand

I'm now aware that platerers' sand is not the same as builders' sand. Can either of these varieties sensibly be used as horticultural sand?

Simple question I know but I need to be able to convince beloved.

Reply to
Jeweller

Gardeners use sharp sand and builders a much smoother sand. AFAIK plasterers sand is in between. I can't see much harm in using plasters sand in the garden if you have got some spare but if you are buying fresh, just get sharp sand for the garden but from a builders merchant as is should be cheaper if you need a lot. If you really want to open up your soil then the fine grit used for screeding floors would be good.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Jeweller

Firstly, all sand is washed and clean enough for your garden. Silver sand for play pits is very soft and is extra carefully washed and sieved.

Differences between sharp sand, soft sand, builder's sand, plasterer's sand, grit and other similar fine aggregates are all references to the particle size and shape.

See:

'm no gardening expert, and you don't say whether you want your sand for hard landscaping, potting or to modify the properties of your soil.

If you decide you need large quantities of sharp sand, then your local builders' merchant or aggregate supplier will likely be the most cost effective.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Or bulk garden suppliers who do soil, compost, sand etc in tonne bags.

Sharp sand for gardening mainly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to