Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

Do you get a free set of night vision binoculars with every cwt. of LED lamps ?

My postcode is LS27 7QZ. Since they are commercially available perhaps you could indicate the nearest showroom where I can see an "entire house" lit by such lights.

I'll be there with my light meter.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

They do. They are pretty much the same as CFLs in that if you replace them when they go dim you are throwing away half their life.

The halogen ones are visibly brighter than the ordinary ones even at the reduced power. This may be because they are more blue and may not actually emit more light, I have not measured one.

Reply to
dennis

cite, please

Reply to
Cherry Chapstick

are potentially the most fuel-efficient mode of transport in terms of passenger-miles per gallon of fuel.

Reply to
Cynic

You obviously have no idea whatsoever of what is available today.

Did I even imply that such a house existed?

Please feel free to set up a test and do so. Perhaps use 3 X 5W LED fittings in a test rig and compare with a single 15W incandescent in its place.

20X5W LED fittings will light a room *considerably* brighter than a 100W incandecent, and you will seldom want them all on at once.
Reply to
Cynic

Thats one of Dennis's specialities, that is,

oh, ... and just plain being wrong

Reply to
geoff

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:30:31 +0100, Cynic wrote the following to uk.misc:

Bit tricky to get your shopping back from the supermarket in though.

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Now you have done it, a direct reasoned attack on the common, but erroneous, belief that buses, trains, etc are better (regarding pollution) than cars and planes. There was one guy on the radio that claimed barges were better as they only used a gallon an hour, but they do only do three miles per hour.

Reply to
dennis

Aren't LEDs really good at being dimmed anyway? (with appropriate drivers). Better than switching some off, surely?

Reply to
Clive George

In message , Cynic writes

Dunno if they're, DLP or not, but standing on the presenter side of some projectors I definitely see a similar strobe effect (IIRC I see an R, a G and a B image, BICBW)

Reply to
bof

The ship figure is from a cruise ship. More interesting would be to see what a ferry uses.

Reply to
Clive George

I would expect a ferry to have more drag but they may cram in more passengers. Basically It depends on how you schedule the service. You can make buses very efficient if you run them full, however people already complain that they only get one bus a week.

Reply to
dennis

What about those lights on roundabouts that are only in use at certain times of day?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You have to slow down to see if its ok.

Reply to
dennis

And less energy spent on heating, lighting, etc.

Ships are also generally cargo-shifters, not people shifters, so need to factor that in too. Not easy, is it?

Reply to
Clive George

Perhaps he meant HORSE-drawn?

Reply to
Jaf

but also totally irrelevant.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Surely Dennis, the only way you could go any slower would be to put it in reverse

Reply to
geoff

Just wave a hand around in front of it.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

You mean irrelevant in a manner that means that a trivial passenger/mile figure hides the rather more important stuff behind it? Right...

Reply to
Clive George