Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

We now have some very viable units in mass production at reasonable prices. I understand your scepticism, but I do not see 3 years as being overly optimistic. Right now it would be quite possible to illuminate your entire house (including garden floodlights) with commercially available LED lighting.

Personally I would fit about 20 or so small flush-fitting 5W LED units into the ceiling of a medium size room. It would provide an

*extremely* bright but glare-free room (when needed) and an even, shadow-free light. Dimming can be achieved by not having them all switched on, which also has the advantage of allowing part of the room to be bright (perhaps for reading) and another part dim (for TV viewing).

No, efficient LEDs that are bright and efficient have been in commercial production for a couple of years now, and the prices have fallen to economically viable levels (still relatively expensive but dropping fast).

It will be necessary to replace the light fittings for the foreseeable future, yes. Not a huge undertaking, but not trivial either. The more directional quality means that light placement is more critical, and as said, plan on using a spread of several units to replace a single tungston/CFL unit. I would recommend that anyone planning to redecorate a room should look into fitting LED lighting as part of the redecoration. I can almost guarantee that you will be pleased with the result.

Yup - but don't use future tense. It's already been done and is available to you right now. Unfortunately there are some really crap designs and also unrealistic claims together with the good stuff, and buying a badly designed product is likely to make a person dismiss the technology as being inadequate. Price is not necessarily a good guide.

Metal halide are not as efficient or long-lasting as LED. And whilst metal halide is a mature technology where incremental improvements are relatively small and infrequent, LEDs will improve in both quality and price quite rapidly as the market grows.

Reply to
Cynic

Unfortunately not. I will be interested to see whether they are as good as ours!

Reply to
Cynic

No need to apologise. It's in my 1972 Chambers as a synonym for light fitting: I just have never met it before

I thought the glass bit was the 'envelope' - or is that just (thermionic) valves?

Reply to
Max Demian

I have never noticed such an effect. Are you sure it is not that the driver has a light pressure on the brake pedal? Any brake light will flicker under that condition.

I've not found the directional quality to be an issue in any road situation I have encountered so far. Cars that are at a sufficient angle to render the lights invisible are generally in a position where you don't need to see their lights.

Reply to
Cynic

That is also used in the context of the outer glass bulb. It's perhaps a little bit old-fashioned, but I still use it where it can be less ambiguous than 'bulb' in mixed company.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok, I just did a side-by-side comparison of a conventional Osram 60W SES bulb and a halogen Osram 42W SES bulb, both new out of the box. Both are clear bulbs, but I judged them in translucent glass shades, because that's what the light fitting has. The halogen appeared slightly brighter.

The halogen is a candle-shaped bulb, the conventional one round; I don't have identically shaped ones to try.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Of course, this may change once you don't have the option of using low-efficiency filament bulbs.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Lamps glow, bulbs grow...

Reply to
Kim Bolton

In message , Cynic writes

At night move you sight from left to right and you should see the effect quite clearly, same for the new(ish) flashing orange 'road works' lamps on motorways, when they're on they are actually flashing.

Nope not that.

Reply to
bof

Leonard Cohen innit?

I have that. Shit, Santa's coming...

Martin

Reply to
Fleetie

Do you have a link to these products?

Reply to
Mark

Why not just make them flash about 100 times faster, i.e. about 100kHz rather than about 1kHz or thereabouts that a lot of them currently do?

It really is not hard to make LEDs flash on and off. Tens or hundreds of MHz is easy and routine. So 100kHz should not be a problem at all.

No, I suspect the flash rate is *kept* down to MAKE the flash just noticeable, to make the car look "flash" by standing out conspicuously from those cheaper cars with mere incandescent brake lights that do NOT flash. It's for posing.

Regarding the other poster not being about to see the flashing: I've had a technique for detecting very rapidly-flashing lights since I was about

10 and starting in electronics with 555 timers making bulbs and LEDs flash at varying rates. You kind of "flick" your eyeball as quick as you can between looking up, above the flashing light, and then down, looking below it. What you see is a broken (dashed, or dotted) trace that gets left on the retina, which persistence of vision allows you to see, and analyse. So you not only get to estimate the RATE (Hz) of flashing, but also, the mark-space ratio, or duty cycle.
Reply to
Fleetie

As they all seem to run at relatively low frequencies I'd assumed they became lossy once they were driven at higher rates.

I first recall seeing the effect when waving around LED calculators in the early 70s, though that's more likely the display digits being multiplexed than for efficiency.

Reply to
bof

That is a pet hate of mine. The VW design is particularly bad.

OK Everyone knows you should indicate before braking but Joe Public tends to do them both at the same time (if you're lucky) or even brake before indicating. The VW indicator is just not noticeable unless you actively look for it in this situation.

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

Bulbs are, er, bulbous, innit.

Reply to
PeterC

I'll try it. It may well be an effect that only a low percentage of people can see. A similar effect is known about DLP projectors. A small proportion of people see a very annoying fringing effect when moving their eyes across the screen, whilst the majority of people are completely unaffected. Putting more sectors on the spinning colour-wheel increases the colour frame frequency and seems to have stopped the effect in succeptible people.

Reply to
Cynic

I very much doubt it. More likely so as to make them CE compliant. A high current square wave creates a lot of EMI at frequencies way above the square wave frequency. To prevent it, you have to round off the square edges by slowing the rise and fall times of the pulses. The higher the frequency, the less the rise and fall times can be slowed, and so the more difficult it is to suppress EMI.

Reply to
Cynic

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 at 18:23:47, Cynic wrote in uk.legal :

In the dark, presumably? :p

What about price, though?

And there's the catch...

Reply to
Paul Hyett

Well OK, I'd go along with that, but It rates !

It's just I regard it as very bad for the government to make compulsory changes to our lives for the benefit of big European business relying on ignorance in the populace that arises from a tenth rate system of technical education in such basic day to day matters to get away with it.

They're probably OK CFL's but that's all they are, if *very* expensive (& Who's getting all that $$Money$$ ?).

Claims have been made that their "continuous daylight spectrum" can cure everything from allergies through death watch beetle in wooden legs, to night starvation caused by shortage of melatonin.

That's Hocus-Pocus bullshit.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Yes. You obviously haven't.

Few airlines run empty planes and they will cancel the flight and put you onto another if its not full enough. Buses, trains, etc. frequently run empty. Ships use so much more fuel per passenger mile that they just don't come into the equation.

Reply to
dennis