Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

Initially, yes.

From September 2010, it will be from 75W upwards, from September 2011 it will include everything from 60W upwards, etc.

Altogether there are 6 stages, although I think every size commonly available will be covered by stage 4 (1 September 2012).

Reply to
Alex Heney

There are low wattage bulbs available now that work with dimmers.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Nominal 234v, +- 5% which covers 220 to 250v

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

You are.

Reply to
Alex Heney

By Sep 2012 new technology LED lamps should be in full production

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

We are 50m from a substation & get 252 on average.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I see 241V here, which is fairly typical. I think the substation is about 150m away.

Reply to
Bob Eager

100m and 240 to 242v
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As far as car running lights go, they are rubbish. Look at the angle of view they disapear at on a Mercedes. It is very narrow.

This begs the question of 'why did car manufacturers change indicator light covers from amber to clear and put an amber coated bulb in there, that can't be seen in bright sunlight?'

The same goes for traffic lights. There is a traffic light controlled roundabout near here and if you are in the R/H lane, you can not see the colour of the light until the last minute, because of the angle the lights are presented to the driver. (You can't see the stop lines until the last minute either, because of the contour of the road.)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Others have already pointed out that this is not accurate.

But in any case you can still buy the 30%-less-power halogen bulbs in the traditional format. I can't see any reason not to use them.

I think it's still legal to import any light bulbs for applications where there is no alternative, but I don't have the relevant document to hand.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Cos it looks cool?

US car manufacturers have spent millions trying to ensure that V8s continue to sound like V8s when they're only running on four cylinders.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

that's just 3 years but I'd like your optimism to be true!

Reply to
Clot

Next door to the substation and 232V

Reply to
Chris Street

I have a large number of 100W in stock.

The whole thing is outrageous. Even if you accept the connection between your choice of light bulb and global warming, how come the Government lets people make their own decision about, say, air travel, but not about their choice of light bulb? It isn't as if the alternatives were exact replacements.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

and completely pointless as LEDs will take over within 5 years, so those millions of replacement low energy florescent bulbs will get junked too

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

That would be to slow you down. You have to slow down to see if its ok to go.

Reply to
dennis

The alternatives to flying (car, train, buses, ships) all create more pollution than flying. They don't want you to use an alternative they just want you to pay more tax.

Reply to
dennis

Is it so that the amber light cover doesn't compete with the paint colour? That's important, you know. Also so that when the coating eventually flakes off and the car fails its MOT test, there's further income from a replacement bulb.

Additionally, why do some car manufacturers (Land Rover, VW, Skoda, please take note) think it's a good idea to surround an indicator lamp with a brake lamp? I suspect it's so that the indicator is almost invisible when (as seems to be the fashion nowadays) people signal long after they've started braking. More profit from replacement bumpers, body panels, etc?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

How does it do that then? - or is it a nominal 5% as well?

Reply to
Phil Jessop

Richard Tobin posted

Do they fit in existing bulb fittings, and are they the same price?

Reply to
Big Les Wade