Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

In message , AlanG writes

Heh heh. I think it was Robbie Heinlein who said: "Never pick up a kitten unless you're prepared to be owned by it.

Reply to
james

Brimstone
[...]

Ordinarily I put hobgoblins in my kill-file but I thought I'd turn filtration off for a while to see if I've been missing anything. As it turns out I haven't, because the whole of this thread's original post has already appeared in another group that I read. Old hands at The Usenet will of course know that multi-posting is the mark of the newbie, cross-posting is the proper thing. I'm really surprised that you didn't know that, JF.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Me too. :-))

That cat at the top of the link looks like my youngest g daughter when she can't get her own way :-)

I keep telling her 'you never win with me' and it has sunk in, thank gawd. :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Do we really need this crap in uk.diy?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I can't imagine why you think that they torment me.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

Absolutely. Yes.

Reply to
bof

Because he's said so.

Jolly good.

And please don't set a follow-up without saying so in your post. It's rude.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

[...]

If you don't like it you could have trimmed the crossposts and set a followup to exclude your little group of hammer wielders; try a bit harder next time, eh, Dave? Or just take the easy way and ignore all crossposted threads, that should be simple enough for you.

To the original poster: Was there actually any good reason for crossposting to uk.misc, uk.d-i-y and uk.legal?

Reply to
Sn!pe

Yes: all of the groups were relevant and likely to contain people likely to know the answer to my question. Which many of them did.

The fact that thread drift has inevitably set in so as to render many posts irrelevant to two of the groups is *not* my fault, and my choice of groups was absolutely bang on.

I have also noticed before that you are someone given to petty whining. I am confident, however, that my (unnecessary) explanation will have allayed your inner turmoil and allowed you to see that in this case, as in many, your whining was misplaced. With a few more years' experience of usenet, you'll get the hang of it.

HTH.

Martin

Reply to
Fleetie

I said "hasn't", not "has". Do try and keep up.

I didn't. You really do have trouble, don't you?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I love you too, Fleetie, give us a kiss.

Reply to
Sn!pe

I'm sure he hasn't been posting to Usenet for 25 years because he has said so himself. He was posting to *something* - CIX maybe? - but not to Usenet.

You did. You've done it again:

From: Bob Eager Newsgroups: uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal Subject: Re: Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday? Followup-To: uk.misc Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:45:29 +0100

Please don't set a follow-up without saying so in your post. It's rude.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

In message , Sn!pe writes

I do know that. I agree with you 100 per cent. But one particular newsgroup seem to regard proper cross-posting as a Bad Thing even though I'm usually careful to trim the number of newsgroups to a Usenet-compliant four. Ali in particular seems to regard me as a candidate to have my horns cut off and my toasting fork confiscated for favouring correct cross-posting. Out of respect for his opinions on other matters I resort to occasional multi-posting. Wrong, I know, but it's easier not to squabble.

Reply to
james

Yes there is, during shopping at Lidls amongst the usual low energy bulbs i spotted some BC fitting mains LED bulbs!! £1.99 each

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

Are they any good??

Francis

Reply to
Francis Burton

I was in a rush doing other shopping so i didn't buy one, next time I'm in Lidls i'll get one for experimentation

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

Thanks for volunteering to try it out! I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.

Francis

Reply to
Francis Burton

My local lidls don't have them, but the next time I'm at the other one i will

Meanwhile i spotted this

Portugal!

As they say UK is the only third world country where you can still drink the water

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

Good luck.

Seems the Portuguese have progressive ideas about how to deal with the 'drug problem' too.

Francis Burton