Saga Insurance - flat roof inspection

Reply to
Lobster

Just thinking the same. Who owns Saga this week?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I got a quote from Tesco online for my insurance renewal with all my details Identical to the renewal they had sent me. 150 quid cheaper.

I then rang them and spoke to their price match dept (who at the time promised to beat any equiv quote).

They were a bit confused then I gave "Tesco insurance" as the cheaper company as apparantly that wasn't on their list of competitors on the computer :-)

In the end they rang back and beat their own price :-)

This wasn't an issue as it was the same insurer, and the same policy. Only difference was the renewal price was 480, the online price was 330 quid :-)

I'd have told them to get lost and moved but a)we've had really good customer service from them and b)I'm sure they are all as bad

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

15-20 is a more normal expected lifespan (though that doesn't mean you don't have have to patch up a bit in that period)
Reply to
tim.....

demanding a certain grade of lock be

ld cost ~£150.

+1 to change. Saga, while an obliging company (re-did a lot of my drains - though it cost them £5k and the local builder said he would do it for under a 1k!), are horrendously expensive.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I would agree with that. One of the interesting ones I found in doing this - and it actually is a industry norm seemingly - is that clothing is not replaced on a one for one basis.

Quite reasonable when one considers that clothing goes out of fashion, etc. but I have two kilt outfits which would cost the best part of £2k to replace and I can't get cover for that - and they neither wear out nor go out of fashion.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I'd have expected you to be able to get all risks cover as part of your 'contents' policy. After all, you can have itemised items such as jewelery camera goods and musical instruments. Mind you, they'd probably exclude moth damage. ;-)

Reply to
charles

Last year the renewal for my Tesco car insurance came in at £700, £200 increase on the year before because of an 'at fault' claim and despite the replacement car being cheaper and smaller. Remembering that the renewal included breakdown/recovery that I no longer needed, I got a quote from the Tesco website that was about £50 less, taking removal of the breakdown/recovery into account. Knowing that they would 'see' I had been on the website, I rang and asked for the breakdown/recovery to be removed. Before I could say anything about the online quote I was put on hold for a few minutes and then offered renewal for £404, which I accepted. £300 saved for the price of a phone call.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

You have to do that with a renewal quote as well.

Another of the tricks these insurance companies adopt is the renewal will have different terms and conditions to the current policy. Some changes are easy to see, such as excess values which often rise by £100/£500 on renewal, but other are hidden in the policy document which change on a daily basis.

I once had motor insurance where the excess on glass breakage was £25 and on the renewal quote it had risen to £500.

The renewal may be 30% more expensive but often the companies are also taking a lesser risk by increasing the excess amounts.

Furthermore, are you buying the actual insurance from Tesco, SAGA, the AA etc.? They buy in the insurance from other parties and will chop and change on a regular basis based on which company gives the best commision.

Reply to
alan

And the "other parties" are no doubt selling the risk on to another party. Some gnome in Switzerland is the one really taking the risk

Reply to
stuart noble

sigh, I know. Try getting insurance for bullwhips, manacles and rubber latex suits.

No one wants to insure for perversions do they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

demanding a certain grade of lock be

cost ~£150.

Except when they aren't. We moved to them from Zurich & our premiums fell

70%.
Reply to
Huge

And if you shop around you will save another 50%.

In general, loyalty will cost you an extra 30% if you accept the first renewal quote and then probably 10% to 20% more on top of that for each following year.

Why do you think that there are so many adverts on TV saying insurance company X will save 50% of the population at least £200 on the insurance quote?

Reply to
alan

In message , charles writes

I was dumbstruck to discover that an apprentice (electrical) had claimed the cost of a sports jacket, burned by leaning on a hot soldering iron, from his father's contents insurance!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Probably send his dad's premiums up by more than he claimed.

Correction: Sends everyone's premiums up by...

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Often Gibraltar. For some "tax efficient" reason no doubt.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Nope.

We have had a claim for subsidence. Most companies won't touch us.

Reply to
Huge

Agreed, but 8 or 9 years was all you could expect in the early days of Pluvex etc.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The renewal invitation says "This year your buildings cover will be underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance and arranged by e-Underwriting."

The letter does have some bold type highlighting significant changes in the level of cover. Hence the query here.

There are also exclusions for malicious damage by the tenants and a 'violent or forceful exit or entry' clause for theft or damage during theft.

However, as stated elsewhere in the thread, it is a major job to find another insurer without similar obscure or blatant get out clauses.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

If you have been with them any length of time almost any other provider it would seem. The heat is definitely on them for ripping off grannies.

Martin Brown