Safety spectacles, why so difficult?

Page 2 of 2
Dave Baker wrote:

One too many xs (sorry Dave, I don't know why I do it, I can't help myself). ;-)
--
Grunff

Because you're a pedant like the rest of us ...
Maybe dave needs some new glasses?
--
geoff

Thanks for that Dave - I thought I was doing well until you posted that.
--
geoff

One alternative is sports spectacles - I have seen them like goggles with a large strap around the back. For people who do active sports like squash, skiing etc. I presume they are safety lenses as a squash ball can be quite dangerous! Cheers Dave R
I have some plastic reinenforced ones that fit over your old glasses there by giving you protection from flying objects and sparks with your own glasses. If you want them let us know on here..
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Must admit I have always found goggles a pain - usually misting up etc. So recently I bought one of the full face visors from Axminster. Not had that much chance to use it so far, but I actually found it very good when I tried it the other day.
It covers the whole face, has a small "helmet" section at the top and fits securely to the head with an adjustable band that includes a ratchet mechanism. You can "flip it up" when you want like a welding mask. The band also includes a fabric cover to halt the sweat before it drips over the visor. Its much cooler and more pleasent to work in than goggles and no misting.
Price was under 7 quid, and you can get replacement polycarbonate shields for it if you scratch it too much.
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes I was thinking about getting one of those sorts of things.
Just need to find a good mask that doesn't mist up my glasses. The ones that have replaceable filters look like a good bet. Any recommendations? The 'paper' type masks always make my glasses mist up no matter how carefully I fit them around the nose. The ones with valves are a bit better but still mist up.
--
Chris French, Leeds

I have a 3M mask with replaceable filters, I'm not sure which model but it allows you stack a dust filter with a volatile filter so you can use it both for dust and solvents. Straight from sanding to finishing with one mask.
The larger B&Qs stock them.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
Peter Ashby wrote:

I find this is the best one I have tried so far:-
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 533&id038
--
Cheers,

John.

white patches are on that one. I can't see the equivalent on Screwfix. I got replacement filters from Axminster a while ago but the website is making it hard to find them again and my local B&Q Warehouse is now stocking only own brand cheapo respirators.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

still 'spectacle free'.

Then you don't need prescription specs. Wonder if anyone does 'reading aid' safety specs?
--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

I'm doing DIYish things like wiring and working on engines. That's when/where I want safety glasses. I agree that 'off the shelf' reading glasses which are also 'safety' glasses would do fine.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes:

I was going to recommend talking to Bolle until I read Colin's post. They did very good eye protection and it actually looked quite nice. I expect the accountants found there was more profit in outrageously expensive sunglasses. Goggles are just about perfect for misting your lenses up, thus creating a far greater hazard and protective glasses tend to be of the CATNAP (cheapest available technology necessary to avoid prosecution) variety. Polycarbonate is a must, the cheap polystyrene ones are only saving a few quid. For my money as has already been said the face shield is excellent. The ventilation is good, so you do not mist up, they protect you from pate to about halfway down your adam's apple, and the polycarbonate, thin as it is, will stop a .22 air rifle pellet. Mostly I work in fume cupboards and with the shutter well down so if anything comes unstuck my midriff is going to get the fallout. Of course I take considerable precautions to avoid any possibility of an accident, the last one being a small piece of (presumably) glass which was never found, I just noticed the heel of my palm was bleeding, didn't even feel it happen.
John Schmitt
-- If you have nothing to say, or rather, something extremely stupid and obvious, say it, but in a 'plonking' tone of voice - i.e. roundly, but hollowly and dogmatically. - Stephen Potter