Safety spectacles, why so difficult?

In message , PM writes

Yes, but glass is still heavier

Useful tip - however, as in many other fields, having a friend in the business is also very cost effective

Reply to
geoff

In message , Dave Baker writes

Thanks for that Dave - I thought I was doing well until you posted that.

Reply to
geoff

Because you're a pedant like the rest of us ...

Maybe dave needs some new glasses?

Reply to
geoff

I was going to recommend talking to Bolle until I read Colin's post. They did very good eye protection and it actually looked quite nice. I expect the accountants found there was more profit in outrageously expensive sunglasses. Goggles are just about perfect for misting your lenses up, thus creating a far greater hazard and protective glasses tend to be of the CATNAP (cheapest available technology necessary to avoid prosecution) variety. Polycarbonate is a must, the cheap polystyrene ones are only saving a few quid. For my money as has already been said the face shield is excellent. The ventilation is good, so you do not mist up, they protect you from pate to about halfway down your adam's apple, and the polycarbonate, thin as it is, will stop a .22 air rifle pellet. Mostly I work in fume cupboards and with the shutter well down so if anything comes unstuck my midriff is going to get the fallout. Of course I take considerable precautions to avoid any possibility of an accident, the last one being a small piece of (presumably) glass which was never found, I just noticed the heel of my palm was bleeding, didn't even feel it happen.

John Schmitt

-- If you have nothing to say, or rather, something extremely stupid and obvious, say it, but in a 'plonking' tone of voice - i.e. roundly, but hollowly and dogmatically. - Stephen Potter

Reply to
John Schmitt

Because the extra layers degrade one's vision considerably, and steam up more easily.

Reply to
usenet

Well I have prescription specs for reading which I tend to need when I'm doing DIYish things like wiring and working on engines. That's when/where I want safety glasses. I agree that 'off the shelf' reading glasses which are also 'safety' glasses would do fine.

Reply to
usenet

Yes I was thinking about getting one of those sorts of things.

Just need to find a good mask that doesn't mist up my glasses. The ones that have replaceable filters look like a good bet. Any recommendations? The 'paper' type masks always make my glasses mist up no matter how carefully I fit them around the nose. The ones with valves are a bit better but still mist up.

Reply to
chris French

I have a 3M mask with replaceable filters, I'm not sure which model but it allows you stack a dust filter with a volatile filter so you can use it both for dust and solvents. Straight from sanding to finishing with one mask.

The larger B&Qs stock them.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I find this is the best one I have tried so far:-

John Rumm

I do, again high refractive index glass means the edges are half the thickness of even the best plastic. Compared to the other posters here I have good eysight at -5. B-)

In 36 years of spectical wearing (from age 7) I think I have only ever broken two lenses. I think I sat on one pair a *very* long time ago and the last time was when the slipped of my nose planning a bit of wood and they landed on the top corner of a spade.

Glasses seem expensive full stop. I shall have to check out CostCo... Trouble is I want a metal frame, comfort bridge, spring hinges and large lenses, NOT tiddly pads and letterbox lenses...

Agreed, I've had plastic in the past and they do scratch very easyly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You plane wood with your nose?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

/me ducks and runs.

Reply to
parish

Nah! He was 'planning' to; his glasses slipped off and broke a spade. Quite 'spectacular' I imagine! :-)

Reply to
Terry

The one I have has removable cartridges which fit on the sides where the white patches are on that one. I can't see the equivalent on Screwfix. I got replacement filters from Axminster a while ago but the website is making it hard to find them again and my local B&Q Warehouse is now stocking only own brand cheapo respirators.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

How about polycarbonate? My optician does Nikon lenses which include a polycarbonate option (In fact I have polycarbonate lenses in my glasses, but they're probably not much use as safety specs).

Hamish Marson