safe with key drop

Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to be very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a narrow passageway.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Whats the one social services use for old people's keys?

AGGGH google's broken.

first one there just redirects me to a slightly different google page

thats the url

pff. not my day The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

  • This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
Reply to
mogga

I'll try again

that?

Reply to
mogga

For small cheap digital safes, I'd consider adding my own hole.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

ever thought of just not leaving your keys in plain view ?

inexpensive, efective, reliable.

Reply to
.

The keys are attached to the keypad. They're nothing like what CMcA ia asking for.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Can't you use a chute through the wall into somewhere more spacious?

Reply to
Guy King

That's about as secure as my grandmother's foolproof plan to foil burglars which was: you put your savings in a handbag and hang it from a hanger it in the wardrobe, (and now the clever bit to fool the burglar) you hide the bag by hanging a coat on the hanger! My grandma was a crime fighting genius!

HLAH

did the savings ever get stolen ?

Reply to
.

No it was remarkably effective - the house was not burgled once!

HLAH

so, pretty secure then ?

KISS ;-)

Reply to
.

Ebay ?

-
Reply to
Mark

We just have a cardboard box on the stairs. It protects the keys from being "fished" through the letterbox and also protects you because, lets face it, when some thug is stood over you with a baseball bat threatening to stove your head in unless you hand over your car keys, it's all too easy to forget the combination to a safe and end up in hospital.

John.

Reply to
John

anything you can drop a bunch of keys into will be easy to fish them out of. Unless you have some cunning plan involving modding the safe in some complex way.

Proper key safes are surely better than digital ones, and small ones are not expensive. Even these, while better than digitals, still have zero insraunce rating - for fair reason.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

through the

mounted in a

Proper key safes have a chicane / maze type thing that deflects the keys as they go down to make fishing harder, and a magnet on a string would stick to the first deflector (but hey what about an electro magnet that isn't turned on until resting on the keys !)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The key might be brass... :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

yes, and those are simple to put together. Either way I think if those keys were ever got you'd be in a difficult position re house insurance, so I have to wonder whether its worth that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I imagine a proper chute is designed to reduce the chance of that. The chute is absolutely essential. There is no way whatsoever that I'm going to bother tapping in a code to deposit my keys. I would just leave them on the side as usual.

I need something simple and lazy. On the other hand, if I need my keys, tapping in a code doesn't seem so onerous!

It has to be digital, as the whole point of it is that you don't have your keys. They're in the safe!

The safe is competing with the alternative, which is putting the keys on the nearest surface. That has an even lower insurance rating.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Unfortunately, it has no deposit chute. This is essential in terms of me actually using the thing. When I'm struggling through the door carrying the baby and shopping, I can dump my keys into a hole. I'm certainly not going to bother typing in a code.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What about the simple solution - leave the safe door open if no keys in?

Reply to
Ian Stirling