Safe glass removal from victorian sash window?

Page 2 of 2
Dave Plowman wrote:

Oh, ever so.... but I have made sash windows, as you probably know they're quite easy to do. Also, any reasonable joinery should be able to make new double glazed draughtproof quality windows up for you - I'm surprised to see so many old ones pulled out and replaced with very unsightly PVC windows whose longevity is very doubtful (usually poorly fitted on the outer wall in many cases, giving rise to mucho cracking on the internal walls too). I wonder what the cost difference would be?
J.B. --

IMHO, the main problem is the wood that's used these days - unless you pay a fortune.
After altering my kitchen I fitted a new wood Magnet window - just a plain large window with one opening casement. And despite it being made of pressure treated timber and me keeping it painted, both the sill and the top part were rotten within about 15 years. All my sash windows are original Victorian - although some may have had repairs.
--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.