Sadolin Superdec - opinions?

I need to redo exterior woodwork this summer. It's currently painted in traditional white gloss (done four years ago). I've always been quite keen in theory on Superdec (which I think is the same stuff as Sadolin Woodshield, one being trade, the other consumer), but I've never actually used it. Can anyone give me any opinions? The gloss is currently not in bad condition at all, but in another year or two I guess it will be. Would I just put the Superdec over the top after a bit of a sand? I'd be using their white gloss version.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I have used Sadolin white woodstain (which I suspect is what you are talking about) over rubbed down gloss paint an it has lasted very well (recommendation from this group a number of years ago).

The gloss version is more of a silk finish but it does not peel and I have not seen the underlying paint peel over 5 years. It is not recommended for areas that are rubbed (it does show signs of wear on door frames) but is easy to re-coat theses areas as it is water based. A very good product at £12 per litre a fe years ago.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

I have two coats of Superdec on my exterior woodwork. It went on over the previous weathered gloss that received a light sanding. It was done around 5-6 years ago and still looks good. It's guaranteed for 10 years. The front of my house, incidentally, gets the sun on it for most of the day in the summer - the original builder's contractor's paintwork, which was nine years old when I bought the house, had been severely damaged by the sun.

Reply to
Peter Johnson