Sacrilege

We have five children, including one in cloth nappies. We did have two in cloth nappies at the same time for about eight months, iirc.

I generally do about eight loads of laundry a week, including nappies. It will be less when I get the new washing-machine I've ordered, because it has a much larger drum than the old one, which takes 4.5 kg.

Reply to
KVL

...and that's not taking into account that you have to spend the same=20 (assuming prices haven't gone up) for the next baby, and the next. I=20 spent less than 100 pounds when we started out with cloth nappies,=20 and when #4 was expected, we splurged and spent another 35ish. #5 is=20 now nearly a year old, the fourth baby to use those nappies. I doubt=20 if the running-costs of a washing-machine would bring that anywhere=20 near the cost of buying disposables for four children.

--=20 KVL

Reply to
KVL

They all appeared in a report from one organisation in 1998. That report may have been repeating earlier "reports" from equally dubious sources. If you still feel they are "independent" feel free to name them. I don't believe anything from a commercial organisation run by politically active members of the Green (or any other) party can sensibly described as "independent" or unbiased.

Reply to
Peter Parry

And you are worried about the pollution caused by nappies?

Reply to
Peter Parry

The message from KVL contains these words:

Have you found out what's causing it yet?

Reply to
Guy King

I dream of living in a place like that.

Agreed. If I ever happen to be listening to the Today programme these days, more than likely I will turn off because they wheel on another lobbyist who gives a completely one sided opinion and are not really given a hard time by the interviewer. The depressing thing is that it all works, gets the papers talking about whatever issue it is and then two weeks later you can hardly find a reference to it, but it's still being quoted as fact. I think it's encouraging that the internet is becoming a news source - you can find everything from loony to reasonable on most things.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

Reply to
Ali Mac

OK fair enough. Our experience lead us to think otherwise. The great thing about the net is that we can express the views. And let's keep choice available to people. If there really is an environmental cost to something, tax it appropriately so that people who want whatever it is (air travel,

4x4s, more time by using disposables, etc) also pay for it. I run a 4x4, it's the family spare car, but I need it to tow horses. Since we tax diesel pretty highly in the UK I don't feel too guilty about the environment. I might feel guilty about keeping horses instead of supporting starving Africans, but that is another story.
Reply to
Newshound

them checked. Sadly this established method doesn't seem to be required in the green debates.

Good thread, isn't it!

Reply to
Newshound

I'm sure the RSPCA should be notified, how fast do you expect them to go while being towed?

Reply to
Peter Parry

The message from Peter Parry contains these words:

I can see his point though - they can be a bugger to start.

Reply to
Guy King

Dunno, but round here here are instructions at the sides of the roads to 'race horses for two miles' so I guess they can keep up with a 120mph jag, and need the encouragement :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I saw one on the A5 the other day which clearly enjoyed the speed. The front windows of the trailer were open and the horse had its head stuck out, lips flapping in the 50mph breeze, apparently having a happy time.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

I've noticed a lot of special school signs warning of 'slow children'. They're not that slow when it comes to leaping out of the way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They all seem to get on buses going to Private. I've never been able to find out where that is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think it's near Not In Service

HLAH

Not around_here_; but on the A27 dual carriageway between Fontwell (race track) and Chichester there are roadsigns that say (something like) 'No horse-drawn carriage racing!" ... or words to that effect .... ! The signs are ***** effective, 'cos I've never seen any horse-drawn carriages racing on that road!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock