sabre/reciprocating saw blades

Hi,

I've got a power craft (i.e. budget) reciprocating saw. Are these like jigsaws: is there a world of difference between the budget and pro models?

Is the same true of the blades? Toolstation sell two brands of blades: Bosch and Silverline. Is it worth paying for the Bosch? Or are all blades much the same? I have bought and used the silverline green wood blades for garden use. I've used them to cut think branches, I suppose that thick means about 2 inches. I've also used them to cut roots that I couldn't be bothered digging out! They did the job so I can't complain. I have never used any others so I have nothing to compare them to. wonder if I had used Bosch blades would it have been done in half the time? I doubt it.

I'm looking for a "hacksaw" blade, or rather one for metal now. It's for cutting scrap so that it will fit into my boot to take to the scrap yard. I wonder whether metal is more fussy about the type of blade used, it being harder?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

I think that you will find cheap metal cutting blades will lose their edge quite quickly. Another possibility might be that they will be very hard and hence break easily - rather like cheap hacksaw blades. Quality blades should have HSS teeth on a more flexible backing and be more tolerant. Do you have an angle grinder? (all d-i-y NG joking apart) this might be a better solution to rough cutting of scrap ferrous metal.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In my limited experience of only two saws I'd say so. My Makita can chew through things (e.g., 10" logs and brick walls!) which my friend's budget saw wouldn't have a hope of cutting. Whether that's true for all budget saws I don't know.

Silverline blades don't last too long. I use them for rough stuff like tree roots where I don't want to wreck a decent blade. The Bosch blades are vastly superior though. The Silverline blades lose their edge very quickly, and end up scraping their way through, rather than cutting, meaning a lot more effort is required to push the blade through the material. Bosch blades will keep their edge longer and give a better cut, with less need to apply lots of pressure. Toolstation are quite expensive for the Bosch blades though. Also look at Irwin blades (ebay is a good source), which are a reasonable compromise between the two.

The Silverline metal blades I've got are even worse than their wood blades.

dan.

Reply to
dent

I don't think so. For sabre saws, even the high-end Makita is an uncontrollable jumpy nightmare.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes I would agree. You need a very steady trigger finger. When adjusting the variable speed I believe the difference between slow speed and flat out is a trigger depth of around 4mm.

When using a sabre saw, its important the blade comes to a halt before removing it from the material being cut. Otherwise the tip of the blade may ping on the material and bend.

The best blades for wood(green and dry) are the bosch. These have a blade thickness of 3mm making them very sturdy. I have cut railway sleepers with these which takes a good ten minutes, but imho safer than me with a chainsaw. I still have all my fingers and limbs intact. Don't waste your money on silverline blades. They are sh*te.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

Yebbut, they're 'guaranteed for life' (should this be in the fruit fly thread?).

Reply to
PeterC

I think I did: I used a blade that was supposed to cut wood and metal. IIRC it was the "toolpak" brand. I cut some metal with it and the teeth either blunted or fell off!

I have used the angle grinder in the past but thought a hacksaw blade might be less dangerous and wear less fast. The cutting discs don't seem to last long (but I buy cheap ones of those too, so perhaps that's why!)

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

That was one of the reasons I bought them but having read your other comments, perhaps I should upgrade to Bosch or Irwin. KIt sounds as though a better blade would cut in half the time.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks. I hadn't realised different makes were different thicknesses: catalogues assume you are only interested in the length, so don't mention this. The silverline one I have is rather flexible, which I suppose could be a hindrance. I guess this is one time you get what you pay for.

I don't think I would be brave enough to pick up a chain saw. I don't mind angle grinders but I have my limits: ladders and chainsaws being two of them. Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred