S.O..problems with tailgaters

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 20:00:46 -0000, Bill Wright wrote= :

Of course it is. It's an easy way to show you're being held up. What's= the big deal anyway? If you don't want to let them past, then just car= ry on driving. Myself if I get tailgated, I try to find a way to let th= em past. Why assume someone faster than you is in the wrong? Do you ge= t angry when walking on a pavement if someone behind you says "excuse me= can I get past?"

-- =

A teacher wanted to teach her students about self-esteem, so she asked a= nyone who thought they were stupid to stand up. One kid stood up and the= teacher was surprised. She didn=E2=80=99t think anyone would stand up s= o she asked him, =E2=80=9CWhy did you stand up?=E2=80=9D He answered, =E2= =80=9CI didn=E2=80=99t want to leave you standing up by yourself.=E2=80=9D=

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Indeed, although I usually just undertake. I see no reason to treat one lane as different to the other, just use the empty one.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

No, that sounds stupidly like the French priority a droit, which they eventually figured out was causing a lot of accidents.

It's illogical to give them priority, as there might not be enough room when there's a lot entering and a lot already on the motorway!

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Then again, there are those who don't recognise humour when it bites them on the leg.

Reply to
Nightjar

I never found the equivalent of a (single) highway code for the US as every State has its own laws. But the guidance I read for States lined up with what Wikipedia has currently:

"For example, in most of the United States, the default priority is to yield to traffic from the right, but this is usually overridden by traffic control devices or other rules, like the boulevard rule. This rule holds that traffic entering a major road from a smaller road or alley must yield to the traffic of the busier road, but signs are often still posted. The boulevard rule can be compared with the above concept of a major and minor road, or the priority roads that may be found in countries that are parties to the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals."

A bit like Priorit? ? droite in France? That is, applies everywhere except where it doesn't - and it doesn't in an awful lot of places, including autoroutes and all the other road crossings with priority systems implemented (including those yellow lozenge signs) leaving unmarked crossroads in the countryside and minor streets.

Reply to
Robin

On 20/03/2015 18:08, Robin wrote: ...

It is now so unusual in some places that I have even seen a sign warning of priorité à droite at a junction.

Reply to
Nightjar

How about the ones with a 20 mph limit?

It's really difficult to keep within that limit.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

when I learned to drive there were only 2 speed limits. 30 in built-up areas and 20 in the royal parks. We managed.

Reply to
charles

An illuminated sign saying police stop works quite well, but not on a motorway where you want Police follow me. Just don't connect it up and its legal.

Reply to
dennis

More than one of us, it seems....

Reply to
David

It would still be an offence under Section 90(1) of the Police Act 1996.

Reply to
Nightjar

The M25 achieves it every time I use it!

Reply to
Capitol

Are the roads through the royal parks dual cabbage ways?

That's when I find it difficult - especially when the limit changes from

50 to 30 to 20 & then back to 30 all within a short section of road.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

What if the road has street lighting? It's that specific case I'm talking about and note the use of "street lighting", not all street lights are "street lighting". Without "street lighting" the NSL for that type of road applies without having to have repeater boards.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The M2 doesn't. And I'm not sure the A299 does, come to that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The regs. which require repeaters have a let-out for motorways. It's (or rather it was and maybe still is - I don't have access to consolidated regs to check the latest state of play) para 5 of Regulation 11 of the Traffic Signs Regulations 2002 (as amended)

"(5) Subject to paragraph (5A), at least one sign shown in diagram 671 [the NSL sign] shall be placed-

(a) along a length of road *** (other than a motorway) *** [empahsis added] on which-

(i) there is a system of street or carriageway lighting furnished by lamps lit by electricity placed not more than 183 metres apart in England and Wales or not more than 185 metres apart in Scotland; and

(ii) a national speed limit is in force; and

Reply to
Robin

You could still be overtaking speeding vehicles whilst you are doing 70MPH.

Reply to
ARW

Is this group really full of white van men?

Reply to
ARW

I think you'll find people who drive at a sensible speed have fewer accidents.

No it is not. There are so many valid reasons why someone should drive at 30 in a 50. The roads are provided for all of us, to use, within reason, to suit our needs. If you are in such a hurry I suggest you set off a bit earlier.

What's your attitude to people in disability scooters, who are restricted to 8mph? What about farm machinery? What about horse riders?

No you can't because you know that if you do an emergency stop they will likely crash into the back of you. These impatient people are often also rather inattentive drivers, it appears.

So in your opinion that would justify throwing a glass bottle at the side window of another vehicle? Look, the incident very nearly ended in serious injury.

In fact the road in question has a section where there are no proper laybys but a number of small unofficial pull-ins. They are no good to me because they aren't long enough. I stopped as soon as I could.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No they are lined with spinach