Ryobi and Performance Pro

I think we've done the rounds about the relationship between Ryobi and Performance Pro over and over again. However today when I popped into the local shed to buy some stuff, the displays of the Ryobi and PP tools were next to each other. Mostly the two ranges are difficult to distinguish, but the PP range appears to have more than one supplier.

The battery types for the PP range varies, I could spot at least three types of 18V battery with mutually incompatible connectors. The Ryobi

18V range all use the same battery and charger.

What was interesting is that one of the PP batteries (which fits the PP tools that I have) is identical to the Ryobi 18V battery, with one small detail change. The connector on the PP is 180 degrees reversed from the design of the Ryobi. Other than that the two designs fit each other. The PP batteries fit the Ryobi charger and vice versa. Sadly the Ryobi batteries won't fit the PP tools because the body of the battery is 180 degrees out of alignment with the tool.

Ryobi saw blades fit the PP tools however, and as I mentioned before it's possible to see a "Ryobi" marking on the motor of one of the PP tools I own, so some other spares may be interchangeable. B&Q continue with their policy of offering a tool for a few weeks then dropping all support including spare batteries, chargers and blades. I wonder WTF the managers of the store are smoking.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Cigars, I would imagine.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The ONE+ Ryobi range is excellent. All use the same 18v battery and the tools come without batteries. They are taking off in a big way. The Impact Driver is great value and well made. the batteries have Panasonic cells. Two batteries, one charger, an Impact Driver and an angle drill will cost £60 + £70 + £60 = £190, £175 in some Internet places. That is not much more than one 12v DeWalt angle drill with only battery that I saw in B&Q. Most Makita, Bosch and DeWalt Impact Drivers are north of £200 alone. The ONE+ range has a 2 yr guarantee and service centres if that is what turns you on.

Only DeWalt and Ryobi push one battery ranges. Wickes are making an attempt at a one battery range using 14.4 v batteries, but the range is limited. The PP Pro range, as opposed to PP, is really only for one off buys and as been mentioned sourced from various makers, although overall good quality and good value for money.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel