Rusty Window Lintels

We have sold our current property (a 1973 built 3 bedroom semi) subject to contract. However, the purchasers' survey has highlighted a possible problem with 3 window lintels and suggests that they be "repaired or replaced".

The 3 windows concerned are located on:

- patio door leading to the back garden

- a side kitchen window

- a first floor landing window (directly above the affected kitchen window)

We have both looked at these and all we can see is that the exposed steel lintels are rusty. Hardly surprising for 30 year old exposed metal I suppose.

Questions:

(1) How easy are these to replace or repair?

(2) Which would you do?

(3) Should anything be done - the brickwork is not damaged thus not suggesting the lintels are damaged? Should they just be "sealed" somehow?

(4) How expensive a job is it? The windows are no more than 6 foot side. Possibly much less though 6 foot is a close estimate for the patio door? The lintels will be a little bit bigger either side.

(5) Is it DIY-able for someone so-minded / abled? What equipment is needed to support brickwork while lintels are replaced (repaired)?

(6) Is there anything else I should bear in mind?

Thanks for any help. Please reply to the newsgroup.

Lydiate

Google Groups Search : Lydiate , Semi , Lintel , Repair , Replace , Survey

Reply to
Lydiate (Remove trousers to reply

"Lydiate (Remove trousers to reply)" <L31 snipped-for-privacy@blueyondertrousers.co.uk>

If you can see the edge of the lintel from the outside, it probably isn't a conventional lintel. Some builders used a length of L-section steel on the outer layer of the cavity wall (and another one, or a separate concrete lintel on the inner layer) rather than the box-type lintels which support both layers. The box type are made are relatively thin material, but are usually galvanised, and shouldn't rust. The L-section steel was usually 4" in each direction, and about 1/4" thick. If this is what you've got (as I have on the original part of my house), and if there's a bit of rust on a exposed edge, it's unlikely to be anything to worry about. A bit of surface rust on 1/4 plate isn't going to weaken it. If I were you, I'd investigate a bit further before taking any drastic action.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills