Rusty Window Lintels

We have sold our current property (a 1973 built 3 bedroom semi) subject to contract. However, the purchasers' survey has highlighted a possible problem with 3 window lintels and suggests that they be "repaired or replaced".
The 3 windows concerned are located on:
- patio door leading to the back garden - a side kitchen window - a first floor landing window (directly above the affected kitchen window)
We have both looked at these and all we can see is that the exposed steel lintels are rusty. Hardly surprising for 30 year old exposed metal I suppose.
Questions:
(1) How easy are these to replace or repair?
(2) Which would you do?
(3) Should anything be done - the brickwork is not damaged thus not suggesting the lintels are damaged? Should they just be "sealed" somehow?
(4) How expensive a job is it? The windows are no more than 6 foot side. Possibly much less though 6 foot is a close estimate for the patio door? The lintels will be a little bit bigger either side.
(5) Is it DIY-able for someone so-minded / abled? What equipment is needed to support brickwork while lintels are replaced (repaired)?
(6) Is there anything else I should bear in mind?
Thanks for any help. Please reply to the newsgroup.
Lydiate
Google Groups Search : Lydiate , Semi , Lintel , Repair , Replace , Survey
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

problem
window)
The
If you can see the edge of the lintel from the outside, it probably isn't a conventional lintel. Some builders used a length of L-section steel on the outer layer of the cavity wall (and another one, or a separate concrete lintel on the inner layer) rather than the box-type lintels which support both layers. The box type are made are relatively thin material, but are usually galvanised, and shouldn't rust. The L-section steel was usually 4" in each direction, and about 1/4" thick. If this is what you've got (as I have on the original part of my house), and if there's a bit of rust on a exposed edge, it's unlikely to be anything to worry about. A bit of surface rust on 1/4 plate isn't going to weaken it. If I were you, I'd investigate a bit further before taking any drastic action.
Roger
Add pictures here
βœ–
The surveyor is just coveing himself. Chances of these failing is very slim.
You say that you can see the exposed steel? Are these concrete lintels and the concrete has spalled off?
If so, then simply wire brush any loose rust and concrete, coat the steel with a suitable primer, let dry, dampen the concrete with a PVA water solution, then patch up with some 3:1 sharp sand and cement. Paint the whole lintel with a grey exterior paint or a cement slurry to blend the repair in
If the lintels are in fact steel tray type ones, then just sand the steel down and coat with some anti-rust sealer and paint
Viola! it is repaired - and the surveyor can not argue one bit about it as it is a recognised repair.
Alternatively, offer £80 per lintol deduction from the selling price.
BTW if the lintels have reached the end of their life, then if you do renew them I would ask for more money in the sale as you would have in fact improved the property.
dg
wrote in message

problem
window)