Rusty rims

Is it a big job removing a low profile tyre? I have leaking rims I was told is due to fitters using the wrong type of lubricant in the good old days. (It's a 12 year old Mondeo.)

Apparently, all I need do is take the tyre off and sand the rims, repaint them and replace the tyre with something less corrosive than soap.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

not at all if you can make a diy bead breaker

-
Reply to
Mark

Is it a big job removing a low profile tyre? I have leaking rims I was told is due to fitters using the wrong type of lubricant in the good old days. (It's a 12 year old Mondeo.)

Apparently, all I need do is take the tyre off and sand the rims, repaint them and replace the tyre with something less corrosive than soap.

If you can spare a few bob, take the wheel to a tyre place and have them remove it properly. Then pop to a local bead blaster and have then do the rim then have it powder coated.

Although they're painted originally, and rubber plus new lubricants for fitting are good a solid base to start on is always worth doing.

Reply to
Nthkentman

If you have suitable tyre levers not that difficult but if your levers are a bit short reasonable physical strength is required.

Easier to take 'em to your local garage and ask them to take 'em off and refit after cleaning up and painting. If they know you it probably won't cost anything.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the tyres have been in place for a long time breaking the seal between tyre and rim can be near impossible using tyre levers. Even more so with low profile tyres.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blunt bolster and lump hammer but yes breaking the seals both sides can also be hard work. Hence take 'em to the local garage and let their machinery take the strain...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The only way to be sure. Those machines can exert enormous pressure. And are designed to avoid damage to the tyre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had thought of g-clamps but the amount of tyre available on a low profile is daunting.

Thank you all for the help and advice. I ended up taking them to a garage and specifying that I didn't want to be screwed over like I was elsewhere the last time.

They were very good but I had to buy new tyres for two of them. It feels so much better now though. They are still up -so far.

Thanks once more.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

New ones on the rear I hope.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The garage put them on the front. A few days later I bought 4 wheels for 80 quid off a fellow in North Wales . Cost me £30 to go there though so... Never mind. Had a day out in the cold, damp, windy, bloody windy, not quite old home town. Boy it was windy. It reminded me of home.

Did I mention how windy it was?

******* hell it was windy. And cold too.

****!

Reply to