Rusty fireplace

We moved into our new built home about two years ago and along with other faults is that our supposed stainless steel fireplace is rusting (We've inherited Spit the dog: A working dog, confined to a ten foot run for about 4-5years, that now runs in circles around the fireplace and TV barking like mad because they reflect its image and being from the country it doesn't realize this. On top of which any liquid spill instantly turns to rust).

Any suggestions about cause and cure? (cleaning and treating it, through some kind of dipping process and coating perhaps?). Any help 'gratefully' appreciated (and yes, that is a pun).

Reply to
mjohn06

Your stainless steel fireplace may be made from 304 stainless, which basically isn't stainless (i.e. it can get a little surface rust although not anything like mild steel.)

ISTM, your options are to spray on some lacquer, use some kind of proprietary stainless steel protection product, take it to your local plating company and have it clear passivated or have the whole thing re-made in 316 stainless.

Dave Osborne