Rusting cur nails on skirting board

Can anyone suggest the best way of sealing in rust stains from cut nails that were used to fix the skirting in my 30 year old house?

Cannot remove them without messing up the surface of the skirting. The nails got slightly damp at some time.

I wish to repaint the skirting but the rust marks always seem to come back after a while.

Reply to
Merryterry

Drill down about half a centimetre, apply a rust killer such as Jenolite, leave to cure, fill with putty, leave to skin over, rub down, then paint over.

Reply to
DIY

Scrub off what you can, then apply shellac knotting to seal. "Knotting" is just low-grade shellac - always handy stuff to use as a sealer over anything a bit grotty.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just use any old oil paint you have lying around. Shellac isn't all that water resistant

Reply to
Stuart Noble