Rusting chrome radiator

Hi there,

1 year ago we had our bathroom done and got a nice shiny chome radiator from screfix and had it installed. This weekend I noticed that a lot of hairline rust crack had formed on it - one side in particular seemed to be worse. Our bathroom is very humid as it is poorly ventilated so I guess this may be in part to blame but seems pretty poor to happen in under a year (installed in December last year). Does anyone have any advice for attempting to remove the rust and try and prevent it happening? or is it alost cause? I saw some rust removing paste yo could buy from Homebase on the weekend but wasn't sure if it would hurt the chome finish. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

If it's under a year, don't bother repairing - get it replaced, or refunded by screwfix.

auctions

What happens with chrome is that it cracks, and minoir imperfections cause rust spots as the coating is pierced.

The short answer is that's chrome plate for you, unless its done over galvanized steel.

Cosmetic cleaning with metal polish will make it look better, but stopping it is a question of heating and ventilation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unfortunatly it's over a year old as i bought it before it was installed. Also if I exchange it I guess there's a good chance I'm going to have the same problem in a years time. Any recommendations for what I should clean it with? any metal polish OK? Hopefully with a bit of elbow grease I can get another few years before it looks awful and then i wiull definitly buy a steel one next time if that prevents this from happening! Thanks for your replies!

Reply to
Steve

Metal polish will do it - or stuff used for chrome on cars - try Halfords.

Stainless steel is the better alternative.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The same thing happens with steel radiators. You need stainless steel or aluminium to avoid rusting again. Even if you fit an extractor fan in your bathroom, assuming that there isn't one now, you still get rusting.

Reply to
Codswallop

Chrome plating galvanized steel? Are you sure?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)