Rust active ingredient

I was going to buy some PHOSPHORIC acid for rust on some railings , paint it on then paint it over, Anything else I should do or will this be sufficient for a few years?

Reply to
ss

POR15.

Reply to
Huge

Well, all I did with my trailer angle iron was brush the rust off, paint on 30% phosphoric acid, leave that for at least 12 hours, rinse it off, let it dry and paint over it. It's been fine for two years now and left out all year round.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

can you buy Phosphoric acid easy enough ? ... or do you have to buy a brand name like Jenolite or KuRust

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Found loads on ebay.

Reply to
ss

I just bought the conc at a lab supplier, but the same 30% sol is available as something else - I know farmers use it as milking machine descaler and there are bound to be other apps for it, more mainstream.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The first few hits on Ebay for "phosphoric" give 44% and 81% phosphoric acid products.

Reply to
alan