Rural broadband speeds

So by this you grow/raise all your own food?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its what was said in the first place, lossy compression.

you do if you click the image, then you get the uncompressed version. So you dont lose access to the quality image, just in most cases you dont need to dl it. Such a service used to get used on dialup, with significant speed up, since most of the data on your average webpage is images.

I thought village living was still reasonably popular. I'd also think the ability to do business online from out of town, which brings lower costs and more land availability, would be a boon to significant number of businesses.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

lossy compression is for dling, not uling.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which is why MK is working towards city-wide(ish) WiMax broadband.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks - I didn't know what the proposed solution was, just that the problem was quite severe.

Sorry for my ignorance, but please tell me, what is WiMax broadband?

Reply to
Bruce

Britain now imports approximately 90% of its food needs, so I don't think we need to be going cap in hand to our farmers.

The idea that rural areas subsidise the cities (in any way, shape or form) is just laughable!

Reply to
Bruce

IIRC its about 505 actualy of all its food..as far as food NEEDS go, well that's a different matter.

And just where do you think the sewage goes -where the trees that make the oxygen are? Where the water you drink come from?

cities think they are islands: they are not. They import nice stuff an produce shit. Millions of tons of it every day. That shit has to be dealt with, mainly by spreading it over he countryside after getting rid of the worst..

The country can do without cities, but the cities cant do without the country.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I obviously gave you a golden opportunity to vent your spleen, but you have not explained at all how the countryside subsidises the cities.

No surprise there, because despite all your bluster, it doesn't!

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Adrian

Reply to
Bruce

I pay for my food unlike some rural dwellers.

Reply to
dennis

You benefit from civilization. There wouldn't be any broadband, etc if it weren't for cities as there wouldn't be any civilization to develop them.

You don't. If you want the facts remember it costs more to provide you with every service. That includes schools, transport, fire, police, ambulance, phones and everything else you want to name.

Reply to
dennis

I have seen and input into a project where fibre would be run to the home. However it won't run at some silly 100M but at 10G. When you have 10G to the home and you can connect the distribution switches together the network doesn't need a core. It becomes a mesh with 10G interconnects. However there is some resistance to the idea from the existing providers.

Most network designers don't actually understand networks or what can be done IME.

Reply to
dennis

Run 5G rather than 2.4G. There is no congestion ATM and 36 none overlapping channels rather than the three WiFi uses. You can use smaller woks too.

Reply to
dennis

I know of a small one in Warwickshire that did. Probably only because a lot of the residents worked for Marconi and a local business wanted help setting up an internet link. The deal was the Marconi engineers set up the companies stuff and the company allowed the WiFi to be piggy backed on the service. It worked well as most company traffic is in the day and most other traffic is at night. I have no idea if its still going.

Reply to
dennis

No, it completely supports it, in te way that fundtaions support a house.

Without them its less a question of subsidising, more a question of subsiding.

Now if the people who own the country started charging for te water they supply, and all the carbon they sequester, and all the oxygen they produce, and started charging for all the landfill..the countryside would be a very rich place.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So people who live in the countryside don't eat, don't breathe, don't consume and don't produce any rubbish.

Interesting theory, but rubbish!

Reply to
Bruce

Look at the relative densities of population, and you will see that the countryside is and effective water source and shit sink. with respect to its population.

I suppose you think milk grows in bottles as well?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it is so unpleasant living in the countryside, with people giving up "their" air and water for city folk, as well as taking in their rubbish, there is an unarguable case for moving to the city.

Added bonus: reliable high speed broadband!

Problem solved. Bleating stops.

Reply to
Bruce

Wrong. I said that rural areas subsidise the cities and this is one way that this could be repaid.

Reply to
Peter Scott