Running wires between floors 1930 Semi

Page 2 of 2

Thats what I'm planning upstairs, as I have a small peice of wall 4" (100mm). I'm going to remove the plaster and run two large pecies of conduit floor to ceiling and fill the gaps with plaster. Chimney breast is a good idea but ideally I want the run from the hall to landing for easy access in the future and its more central.
On 17/02/2004 Martin opined:-

You might be able to drop the cables down the cavity between the inner and outer walls, assuming an outer wall might be a suitable location and you have not had cavity insulation fitted.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Thanks, To my delilght I've found I do have cavity insulation. Found this when I started installing security lighting outside, thought then I could drop the wires down the cavity, in the end I located the lights at the first floor level and drilled a hole straight in under the floorboards.
On 17/02/2004 Martin opined:-

You are not allowed to run mains cabling in the cavity, though obviously you can pass cables straight through them. Cat5 would not be a problem run in the cavities.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Didn't know that, I'm not disagreeing but do you have a reference in the regs where this is stipulated. I have seen lots of houses where the mains wiring is run in the cavity, mainly for outside lights. Also why would this be a problem?
Martin wrote on Tuesday (17/02/2004) :

I don't have a copy of the regs to refer to, but this point was recently mentioned in this ng. Other than the possibility than the cables might become overheated due to the cavities being later filled with insulation, I cannot think of any other obvious reasons.
It used to be permitted.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

it's addressed in the Regs either way and would welcome a reference.
Personally, I wouldn't install mains cables in a cavity wall!
Could it be that there is a danger of drilling through them since they will be unlikely to follow a marked path?
JohnB