running radiator pipes

I'm about to order my radiators for the van, (Ultraheat do down to 200mm wide rads, just waiting for a price) still waiting for the boiler (eberspacher diesel fueled hot water furnace) to arrive, so whilst i'm waiting i'm going to run the pipes for the radiators.

Never done any central heating work before, so any tips welcome, tho i imagine half the things applicable to a house arent to a van... or maybe they are.

The system is basicaly going to be a single boiler and 2 pumps, one for the calorifier (small hot water cylinder) that part is easy, from the outlet of the boiler a pipe goes to a Y piece, then to the 2 pumps, pump one then has a pipe from the outlet of the pump to the calorifiers coil inlet, the outlet goes to a Y piece and back to the boiler return, that circuit compleated, simple etc.

For the central heating, i run a pipe from the outlet of pump two, around the van, and back to the Y piece to the boiler return.

The boiler will be situated about halfway down the van's length, on the right hand side in an underfloor locker, a 15mm pex (speedfit) pipe will come off the pump and go through the floor into the living area, it'll loop backwards slightly and then go down to the back end of the van about 4 meters, then turn right accross the van for 2 meters, then turn again to come up the left hand side of the van, it'll go up for 4 meters and that's the end of the flow pipe, it then loops around and follows the pipe back to the boiler.

The radiators, one will be off the begining of the pipe where it loops back slightly when it enters the living area from the floor,

the second rad will be at the back of the van, on the left hand side just after the pipe turns the corner,

And the last rad will be at the end of the pipe run where it loops back,

i'm using thermostatic valves on all rads,

problem i see is, how on earth do i stop the first radiator with a full open flow valve allowing all the hot water to go through the rad and into the return line, thus avoiding the water going round the rest of the pipework?

And more importiantly, how do i stop the last rad on the pipes being bypassed because that's where the flow becomes the return line??

I dont really want to have a rad with no thermostatic valve on it as used in home heating sytems, and eberspacher recomends that you just put thermo valves on all rads, and the boiler takes care of it's temperature to when to shut off and start up... when the water temp is at something like 86 degrees for 5 minutes it shuts down but keeps the pump running, when it drops to about 79 it starts up again, so no need for a room stat on this system.

Do i have the last radiator piped up as the return junction... i.e. flow goes into the rad, return comes from the rad rather than Teeing off the flow and return pipes as the other rads do? then fit one of those differential bypass valves near the pump? this thing flows 900 litres an hour, not sure if that's low or high compared to home systems.

or would i put the bypass valve at the last rad connection?? or do it a totaly different way altogether?

Reply to
CampinGazz

The other valve is turned down so that with all TRVs open, there is a proportional flow to them all.

You can have a bypass valve, which operates when the pressure rises above a threshold, and allows water flow through a loop round the pump.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In article , CampinGazz writes

Who did you find to supply the Ultraheat rads?

Reply to
fred

I got mine here, but they don't do mail order...

Dunstable Plumbing & Heating Merchants Ltd

137, High St North, Dunstable, Bedfordshire LU6 1JN Tel: 01582 668893

I think they're made in Leighton Buzzard, which isn't far from Dunstable. I don't know if you can buy direct from the factory.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well, tried plumb centre for a laugh, they basicaly told me they will only sell me their own rads, and never even consider ordering any from another company than the one they use... which dont do owt smaller than a 400 x 400,

so the only other plumbing merchants in town is graham, they said they'd be more than happy to order them in for me, and i left it with them to get prices... that was 2 days ago and they havent got back to me yet, so i'm assuming i can get them, but as of yet i havent got the prices for them let alone ordered them.

Reply to
CampinGazz

Right.... i guess what i'm trying to get at now is.... the last rad on the system, do i plumb the flow into the rad, return from the other side of the rad? or loop the flow pipe around to become the return from the end of the pipe run, and Tee the radiator off the pipe?

if i tee it off the pipe, the water will surely want to take the easier route bypassing the rad as it's a shorter route, especialy when the TRV starts to close.

if i run the flow into the rad, and the return starts from the outlet of that last rad, then i fit the differential pressure valve between the last rads inlet and outlet? as it's got a TRV on it, so if the other rads are all shut off, and the last rad on the piperun shuts it's TRV, the diff valve opens up and allows the coolant to run around the system unhindered?

Reply to
CampinGazz