Running electric cable in concrete floor

I am approaching the end of refurbishing my daughters house. Given the choice I would have sorted the kitchen first, however it is my daughters house and she wanted the kitchen left to last. Now I am approaching the time to run the elect-trickery into the kitchen. The distribution box is in the hall way which has a hatch into the hollow floor which extends up to the kitchen where it is concrete. I thought that I would run the cables up to this then cut channels into the concrete and run the cabling in trunking bedded in this, the concrete will be eventually tiled over. Is this feasible and any tips please?

Reply to
Broadback

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:45:05 +0000, Broadback mused:

If I were running cables in a concrete floor I would prefer to run them in galv tube, or PVC at the very least. Galv would be safest but either way it's not a major chore to replace the cables if required without it being a major headache as long as the tube is installed with this in mind and also with enough space to get the cables through (e.g. 1x20mm for a ring across a floor round 2 90 degree bends is not going to be great).

Reply to
Lurch

Personally I just case them in the concrete..keeps em cool ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Twin and earth cable is unsuitable for embedding directly in concrete. This is clearly stated in the OSG and in GN1.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Well slip a bit of flexi conduit over them if you feel precious.

Ive seen it done plenty of times..the sort that can happen is the insulation fails in 30 years time..and you have to chisel it out again..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Years ago could get prewired flat section PVC trunking for just this purpose. IIRC the cable was single insulated and loosely in its own section of the trunking. It was used for wiring in blocks of flats Never used it myself so not sure how the sections fitted together

Don't know if it is still available

Tony

Reply to
TMC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:45:05 +0000 someone who may be Broadback wrote this:-

Install conduit in the floor, with easy bends where they bend up to the walls. Put in draw strings (thin nylon rope is best) and draw in singles which are terminated at the first accessory.

Run horizontally in your preferred wiring system between accessories along the walls, so that you minimise the number of conduit runs under the floor.

Beware of Mr Prescott if the house is in England or Wales.

Reply to
David Hansen

Should be OK if the foundations are substantial enough....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks folk.

Reply to